Irate Allen Iverson asks police, “Do you know who I am?”

Apr 8, 2011, 10:52 AM EDT

Allen Iverson

Any time you pull out the “Do you know who I am?” card with the police, you’re being ass.

Meet Allen Iverson.

Iverson was the passenger in a Lamborghini he owns that changed lanes without signaling around 6 p.m. in Atlanta on March 30. We’ll let CNN tell the story from there (via Tom Ziller at SBN).

The driver, identified in the report as Antwuan Clisby, couldn’t produce any documentation for the vehicle, the report said. He then told the officer his passenger needed to leave the vehicle to eat dinner, and the officer said no one was leaving until the investigation was complete.

With that, Iverson became “irate,” according to the police report, saying, “I’m the (expletive) passenger.” The officer radioed for backup, and a second unit arrived, according to the report. Clisby and Iverson were asked to exit the vehicle, while Iverson continued to curse at the officer, the report said.

When police scanned the identification number of the vehicle, which belongs to Iverson, it was found to have tags that expired in 2009. Iverson, former MVP for the Philadelphia 76ers, was told his car would be towed.

“Take the vehicle, I have 10 more,” Iverson said, according to the report. “Police don’t have anything else (expletive) to do except (expletive) with me.” He then asked, “Do you know who I am?”

Iverson continued to berate the officers and tell them about who he was for the next 20 minutes, police said. Nice.

First off: Iverson became irate when he couldn’t get to dinner at 6 p.m.? I knew he was getting up there in years but didn’t think he needed the early-bird special so he could get home in time for Wheel of Fortune yet.

1. garryfish - Apr 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM

The other side is a washed up has-been basketball player

2. Kansachusetts - Apr 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Like the front, back, right, and left.

3. gemini1512 - Apr 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I know that changing lanes without signalling is an offense, but how often are people actually pulled over for this, especially when it’s not in the wee hours of the morning?

What’s the likelihood that the officer saw two black men driving an expensive car and decided he was going to pull them over no matter what? I’m betting that this type of thing happens WAY more than we want to believe. I hate to throw this out there, but it seems like Iverson and Clisby were the victims of racial profiling.

And to reiterate, yes, I know it’s an offense. Just a tacky one to get pulled over for IMO.

• digitalpoo - Apr 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Give me a break…. You really think you can look in through those extremely tinted and tiny windows and see two black guys??

• jrmcool20 - Apr 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM

well u have a point i dont belive all what the police right in there reports these days !! im not saying all cops are like that BUT, some are for sure !! also i agree that the 2 of them was pulled over because the way they look ,, like u said on a BIG interstate highway i would like to see how many cars was actually stopped just for a lane change with NO turn signal and in atlanta too ??? lol bet not many .. oh yesss when police seen 2 minoritys driving a LAMBORGINI IN ATLANTA dressed to the tee thats the MAIN reason they was stopped and checked out racial profilling at its best lmao !!!! of course A.I. was pissed , not because of a late dinner but because of always being messed with thats why ,, AGAIN im not saying all law enforcement are like that no way but internal affairs they say are very busy these days thats all we read and hear about hear in fla police and deputys and lots of corrections officers always involved in foul play ,, example just happend 3-4 wks ago sheriff dept officer hides weed in his subway sub to get it into jail to give to inmates ok !!! lol good one huh ??? thats just one ordeal i can site 5 -6 just off the top of my head in the past few months so thats why lots of us out here dont have that much faith in the police some times and especially with all they write in a REPORT !!!!

• nyg17 - Apr 8, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Umm… the officer who pulled them over is black.

4. LPad - Apr 8, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I wouldn’t exactly call this berating the police. AI didn’t even get arrested so I doubt what he said was that big of a deal.

5. aboogy123456 - Apr 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM

It’s stupid how he acted but it sucks how there’s no mention that he apologized to the police afterward for the way he acted.

6. lucky5927 - Apr 8, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Yes, it is possible two African American men driving a fancy car caught the attention of the police officers. It is also likely the driver may have swung two lanes at once without using the turn signal, which would have caught the attention of any cop. Regardless, it still doesn’t excuse his behavior. I would have arrested him for disorderly conduct if I was the officer. These guys don’t deserve the disrespect of some diva.

• LPad - Apr 8, 2011 at 3:14 PM

funny I do that everyday and I don’t get pulled over for it. And I know I’m not only one who does it day after day without getting pulled over.

BTW, saying “do you know who I am?” isn’t disorderly conduct. The thing some of you people need to realize is he did everything the police asked him do. There’s no law that says you have to be happy or polite about it.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 8, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Cursing up a storm and becoming irate could be construed as disorderly conduct, but it looks like he happened to run in to a couple of cooler-headed officers.

7. richc111 - Apr 8, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Maybe he should listen to Chris Rock’s video on what happens when you get pulled over. I would post the link but it had a little fowl language. Search for “How to NOT get the beat down when you get pulled over” by Chris Rock on You tube

8. tim8282 - Apr 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I’ve never in my life seen a police officer use a turn signal.

9. garrand57 - Apr 8, 2011 at 2:09 PM

“Iverson is a complex person with a lot of different sides. Some of those sides can be an ass.”

Yeah, nobody has ever been upset with a police officer for being pulled over, also, we all police officers are sweethearts!!! I’m sure no cop has every done anything to merit a “berating” session from Allen Iverson.

10. surnuf - Apr 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM

It sounds like some of you never “seen” the inside of a classroom. Maybe they “was” pulled over for the wrong reason. Maybe they were driving like idiots. That still doesn’t excuse Iverson acting like a spoiled, ignorant, jack**s. As far as the driving issue goes, I’m sure he could improve his skills with a little practice. Practice? Am I talking about practice? Yes, I’m talking about practice. Practice not being a jerk. As for my fellow bloggers, practice using proper English.

11. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM

soooooooooooooooo, did the officer know who he was or what??
    If they didn’t, they do now, I will sleep better tonight.

12. therookie773 - Apr 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM

It’s pretty clear judging by all the comments here that there is a fair amount of iverson haters out here, and that’s fine. But realise that in the past iverson has been wrongfully accused and even jailed before he was in the NBA for the bowling alley fight for which ther is no way of knowing what happened as there were too many people involved both black and white. I’m not saying what he did here was a class act but it’s easy to understand where his frustration comes from when dealing with the police.

13. alexny4 - Apr 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM

thats why he is ma man!!! ACAB..

pulled over for that reason???LOL

14. nugshaveheart - Apr 11, 2011 at 6:34 PM

I saw AI first hand being an Ass when he was in Denver and the players had to attend the Season ticket holders Sixth Man Jam. He was being rude and swearing at 6 boys who were 8 to 10 years old. I have dispised him ever since.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches