Apr 8, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT
As you know by know, Phil Jackson is definitely, definitely not going to coach the Los Angeles Lakers next season. The last time the Lakers attempted to replace Jackson, they hired Rudy Tomjanovich and missed the playoffs. What will the Lakers do this time? Will they go with a big-name ringer or try to develop a new head coach? Will they try and keep running the triangle or try to go more uptempo?
Kobe Bryant, whose opinion on this matter likely carries some weight, wouldn’t mind seeing current Laker assistant coach Brian Shaw get The Big Chair (if not Phil’s specially-made giant chair). Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports has the story:
“I feel all of the players believe in coach B-Shaw,” Bryant said at the Lakers’ Friday morning shootaround. “We have such a rapport with him. He’s been with us for such a long time. We all have a bit of a bias towards him.
“I don’t want to get in the way of management. But we’ve all kind of had our eye on him for a while.”
Shaw would certainly be the safest choice, and the Lakers wouldn’t have to make many adjustments under him. Filling Phil Jackson’s shoes is a big task, but I have a feeling that Shaw could pull it off if he has Kobe in his corner.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 11
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 19
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy