Apr 7, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
UPDATE 12: 50 pm: According to the Associated Press, this was indeed a confrontation with the valet at the hotel, and it took place around 4:30 in the morning. Nothing good happens at 4:30 in the morning. Apparently she slapped the valet after he dared turn her car off after it had idled for 30 minutes while she spoke to friends (via TMZ, so use salt with that part). Here are the money graphs from the AP:
Police said Gloria James had a strong odor of alcohol on her breath and her eyes were bloodshot when officers arrived at the hotel about 4:47 a.m. Thursday.
Police said several witnesses supported valet worker Sorel Rockfeller’s account of the alleged assault.
9: 46 am: Gloria James, the mother of LeBron James, was taken into custody at a posh Miami hotel Wednesday night on charges of assault.
Gloria James was taken into custody after an incident at the Fontainebleau Hotel at 4441 Collins Ave., according to Miami Beach Police.
Police have not given the details of her arrest, but said she was released early Thursday morning.
TMZ reports that this was a run in with a valet at the hotel and he was the one assaulted.
This is not her first run in with the law, she was arrested for a DUI in Cleveland back in 2006. There was also controversy surrounding a 2003 loan she got the day James turned 18 — and was still in high school — to buy him an H2 Hummer vehicle. Back in high school, James once had to tell his mom to sit down and stop yelling during one of his games.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 5
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 18
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 52
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 24
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65