Apr 7, 2011, 1:22 PM EDT
It has taken nearly 10 months, but LeBron James and Erik Spoelstra finally get each other.
That timetable is understandable, I’ve been married for nine years and my wife still doesn’t get me half the time. Building a relationship takes time, and Spoelstra and James had to do it under the brightest of spotlights.
Both Spoelstra and James confirmed things are better lately with Bill Reiter of Fox Sports Florida.
“I think the last few weeks it’s been a lot more comfortable,” Spoelstra said when I asked him about their relationship. “We’ve been communicating a lot more….”
“It’s definitely a process, and I think me and Coach Spo are learning each other as we speak,” LeBron said. “It’s not always going to be a bed of roses. We know that. There’s going to be times when Spo don’t like me and I don’t like Spo. That’s just how it is. But we’ve got to have each other’s back no matter what’s going on.”
This is a good thing. Phil Jackson and Michael Jordan were not buddies, but they had enough of a relationship to be on the same page (largely) about the team and its direction. Gregg Popovich and Tim Duncan, same sort of thing. Miami needs that.
You’d say that the improved relationship has shown on the court, but the Heat’s last six games were not against playoff teams. That’s a honeymoon, not a relationship test.
The real stress tests start a week from Sunday. Especially if the Heat don’t get out of the East. But for now the relationship seems like it has a good foundation.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record