Apr 7, 2011, 1:45 PM EST
In Kendrick Perkins world, there are good technical fouls and bad technical fouls.
Bad ones? Taking too long to shoot a free throw then throwing the ball away from the refs. Especially when that gets you suspended.
Good technicals? Perkins has been T’d up five times since coming to the Thunder, and he told Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman why that is a good thing.
“It’s times that you can get a good tech,” Perkins explained. “You set the tone every now and then.”
Most of Perkins’ five technical fouls in a Thunder uniform have come from altercations with opposing players. Jawing. Pushing. Stare downs. That sort of stuff. But Perkins doesn’t think techs of that variety are a problem. In those situations, Perkins said he’s intentionally pushing other players’ buttons. He’s playing the role of the schoolyard bully, testing and taunting his competition to see how far they’ll allow him to go….
“I try to pick and choose (when talking to referees),” Perkins said. “Sometimes it may look like I’m attacking the ref or swearing or cursing at a ref but I’m not. Sometimes I’m just telling him to get his head in the game or something to that nature.
“As I got older, I developed good relationships with the guys so they know how I am and they have a higher tolerance for me. And I know how to approach them. I just pick and choose. Some days I try to get a tech. Other days, I just mess with them every now and then.”
Perkins was brought in to bring some toughness to the Thunder, to be fierce inside in a way the team had not been before. With that will come some technicals. Part of the price. Perkins is going to pay a few fines.
And when he does, his teammates should buy him dinner.
- Wesley Matthew’s injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 8
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14