Apr 7, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
It’s 23 days until Knicks owner James Dolan has to make some kind of decision about extending the deal of team President Donnie Walsh. Or maybe it’s Dolan’s decision. Either way, the April 30 deadline is approaching and we know nothing.
In the absence of solid information, you get rumors.
Like this from the New York Post that Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo — who may well get drummed out of Canada after the season — could step into the Knicks job.
If (Mike) D’Antoni and his coaching staff is part of James Dolan’s future, hiring Colangelo makes a lot of sense. Colangelo, who had rousing success with the Suns, is amidst a major rebuilding project in Toronto, which is 21-56 after last night’s no-show 131-118 loss to the Knicks.
The logical successors for Walsh are in house — current GM Alan Houston, and consultant Mark Warkentien. Plus, NBA blogger law requires us to include Kevin Pritchard’s name as a possibility any time there is a team GM opening.
The smart money is to keep Walsh for another year (at least), give him the chance to build off the foundation that has been set. He did the dirty work and got the franchise out of the hole dug by the previous administration. He deserves the chance.
But it Walsh walks, for whatever reason, the Knicks have a few good options to choose from. And a couple bad ones. Lord knows what direction Dolan will lean.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 12
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 13
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay