Apr 7, 2011, 4:05 PM EST
It’s 23 days until Knicks owner James Dolan has to make some kind of decision about extending the deal of team President Donnie Walsh. Or maybe it’s Dolan’s decision. Either way, the April 30 deadline is approaching and we know nothing.
In the absence of solid information, you get rumors.
Like this from the New York Post that Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo — who may well get drummed out of Canada after the season — could step into the Knicks job.
If (Mike) D’Antoni and his coaching staff is part of James Dolan’s future, hiring Colangelo makes a lot of sense. Colangelo, who had rousing success with the Suns, is amidst a major rebuilding project in Toronto, which is 21-56 after last night’s no-show 131-118 loss to the Knicks.
The logical successors for Walsh are in house — current GM Alan Houston, and consultant Mark Warkentien. Plus, NBA blogger law requires us to include Kevin Pritchard’s name as a possibility any time there is a team GM opening.
The smart money is to keep Walsh for another year (at least), give him the chance to build off the foundation that has been set. He did the dirty work and got the franchise out of the hole dug by the previous administration. He deserves the chance.
But it Walsh walks, for whatever reason, the Knicks have a few good options to choose from. And a couple bad ones. Lord knows what direction Dolan will lean.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 2
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)