Apr 6, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT
Kris Humphries is an unrestricted free agent but says wants to come back to the Nets and be there when they move to Brooklyn. The Nets want Kris Humphries back.
Well, at least until they trade him. But we’ll get to that later.
Humphries had a break out season — credit The Kardashian Effect — and did it just as he was going to be a free agent (what a coincidence). He is going to get a healthy raise from the $3.2 million he made last season and he will have a lot of teams vying for his services.
But he sounded like a guy not planning on making a move when talking to Al Ianazzone of the Bergen Record.
“I think this year’s been a great building year,” Humphries said before the Nets’ 107-105 win over the Timberwolves on Tuesday at Prudential Center. “With the arena going up and our team feeling like we have pieces to go in the right direction — obviously there’s going to be some additions and stuff like that — it’s all going to hopefully come together in Brooklyn. Hopefully a lot of us are there to experience that.”
Doesn’t sound like a guy who wants to be on the move.
Except, the Nets may try to move him. This is from farther on down in the article.
Humphries has proven his value to the Nets with his rebounding and toughness. But he also could be a valuable chip if the Nets try to acquire Dwight Howard from Orlando.
They are expected to pursue the NBA’s best big man and to get something done, the Nets may have to offer a package that includes Humphries and Brook Lopez.
We know, we know. Magic GM Otis Smith is saying he is not going to trade Howard. He has to say that now. We don’t know what the new collective bargaining agreement will look like, but it could have a franchse tag or steps that make it easier for the Magic to retain Howard. Or, the CBA might not change much and Howard could put the Magic in the same spot the Nuggets were this year with ‘Melo if he doesn’t sign an extension.
One way or another, the Nets have plans for Humphries.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 45
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13