Apr 6, 2011, 10:13 AM EDT
Because Mike D’Antoni likes coaching the New York Knicks, he doesn’t say bad things to the media about his boss, owner James Dolan.
It was Dolan who pushed the Carmelo Anthony into the form it finally took in the end, he wanted the deal and was willing to give up players. Team president Donnie Walsh and D’Antoni went along but Dolan was driving the bus on this one. (Walsh had wanted to hold out and offer fewer players.)
Before the Knicks game Tuesday D’Antoni flirted with saying he was frustrated with the final outcome of that deal, via the New York Times.
Before the game, D’Antoni came as close as he has to admitting some misgivings about the Anthony deal — in particular the decision to radically alter the roster so late in the season.
“But the bottom line, either you’re going to be a team player, as we ask our players to do,” D’Antoni said, adding, “And if it’s better for the organization to do it, you do it. And it’s not, ‘Oh my, what’s going to happen to me?’ Well, you know what, this is the best for the team and best for the future of the New York Knicks; then if I’m supposed to be the coach, then I go along with what’s best for the Knicks. And I think it’s clear that it’s best for the Knicks.”
What’s best for the Knicks is to find a way to get some depth on the squad next summer. And next season a seventh seed in the East that strikes no fear into the teams at the top will not be the kind of record that will make Dolan happy with D’Antoni.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 76
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 19
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (78)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay