Apr 6, 2011, 10:13 AM EDT
Because Mike D’Antoni likes coaching the New York Knicks, he doesn’t say bad things to the media about his boss, owner James Dolan.
It was Dolan who pushed the Carmelo Anthony into the form it finally took in the end, he wanted the deal and was willing to give up players. Team president Donnie Walsh and D’Antoni went along but Dolan was driving the bus on this one. (Walsh had wanted to hold out and offer fewer players.)
Before the Knicks game Tuesday D’Antoni flirted with saying he was frustrated with the final outcome of that deal, via the New York Times.
Before the game, D’Antoni came as close as he has to admitting some misgivings about the Anthony deal — in particular the decision to radically alter the roster so late in the season.
“But the bottom line, either you’re going to be a team player, as we ask our players to do,” D’Antoni said, adding, “And if it’s better for the organization to do it, you do it. And it’s not, ‘Oh my, what’s going to happen to me?’ Well, you know what, this is the best for the team and best for the future of the New York Knicks; then if I’m supposed to be the coach, then I go along with what’s best for the Knicks. And I think it’s clear that it’s best for the Knicks.”
What’s best for the Knicks is to find a way to get some depth on the squad next summer. And next season a seventh seed in the East that strikes no fear into the teams at the top will not be the kind of record that will make Dolan happy with D’Antoni.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49