Apr 6, 2011, 10:13 AM EDT
Because Mike D’Antoni likes coaching the New York Knicks, he doesn’t say bad things to the media about his boss, owner James Dolan.
It was Dolan who pushed the Carmelo Anthony into the form it finally took in the end, he wanted the deal and was willing to give up players. Team president Donnie Walsh and D’Antoni went along but Dolan was driving the bus on this one. (Walsh had wanted to hold out and offer fewer players.)
Before the Knicks game Tuesday D’Antoni flirted with saying he was frustrated with the final outcome of that deal, via the New York Times.
Before the game, D’Antoni came as close as he has to admitting some misgivings about the Anthony deal — in particular the decision to radically alter the roster so late in the season.
“But the bottom line, either you’re going to be a team player, as we ask our players to do,” D’Antoni said, adding, “And if it’s better for the organization to do it, you do it. And it’s not, ‘Oh my, what’s going to happen to me?’ Well, you know what, this is the best for the team and best for the future of the New York Knicks; then if I’m supposed to be the coach, then I go along with what’s best for the Knicks. And I think it’s clear that it’s best for the Knicks.”
What’s best for the Knicks is to find a way to get some depth on the squad next summer. And next season a seventh seed in the East that strikes no fear into the teams at the top will not be the kind of record that will make Dolan happy with D’Antoni.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 67
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31