Apr 6, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
“Do you believe in fairies? Say quick that you believe. If you believe, clap your hands!”
—J.M. Barrie, from The Adventures of Peter Pan.
Apparently, the Orlando Magic work on the same principles as fictional fairies like Tinkerbell.
They’ll die if you don’t believe in them.
There’s plenty of cynicism around the Orlando Magic and their playoff chances. They are 2-3 in their last five games, including a loss to almost certain first-round opponent Atlanta.
“We’re not perfect, we’re going to make mistakes, we’re going to miss shots, we’re going to make bad turnovers, bad decisions with the ball, but we just need everybody to believe in us,” Howard said. “We are going to continue to believe in ourselves and believe in each other, but we need our city to continue to believe in us.”
If you believe in the Magic, clap your hands!
Young Magic fans: When the Magic do stumble in the playoffs, know that it’s not your fault. It may be the midseason trades that didn’t provide much useful debt, especially at point guard (but did tie up future cap space). It might have something to do with inconsistent three point shooting. It might have something to do with teams being able to slow the Magic because they can single-cover Howard.
But keep right on clapping.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 0
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 40
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44