Apr 6, 2011, 11:33 AM EST
“Do you believe in fairies? Say quick that you believe. If you believe, clap your hands!”
—J.M. Barrie, from The Adventures of Peter Pan.
Apparently, the Orlando Magic work on the same principles as fictional fairies like Tinkerbell.
They’ll die if you don’t believe in them.
There’s plenty of cynicism around the Orlando Magic and their playoff chances. They are 2-3 in their last five games, including a loss to almost certain first-round opponent Atlanta.
“We’re not perfect, we’re going to make mistakes, we’re going to miss shots, we’re going to make bad turnovers, bad decisions with the ball, but we just need everybody to believe in us,” Howard said. “We are going to continue to believe in ourselves and believe in each other, but we need our city to continue to believe in us.”
If you believe in the Magic, clap your hands!
Young Magic fans: When the Magic do stumble in the playoffs, know that it’s not your fault. It may be the midseason trades that didn’t provide much useful debt, especially at point guard (but did tie up future cap space). It might have something to do with inconsistent three point shooting. It might have something to do with teams being able to slow the Magic because they can single-cover Howard.
But keep right on clapping.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14