Apr 6, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
“Do you believe in fairies? Say quick that you believe. If you believe, clap your hands!”
—J.M. Barrie, from The Adventures of Peter Pan.
Apparently, the Orlando Magic work on the same principles as fictional fairies like Tinkerbell.
They’ll die if you don’t believe in them.
There’s plenty of cynicism around the Orlando Magic and their playoff chances. They are 2-3 in their last five games, including a loss to almost certain first-round opponent Atlanta.
“We’re not perfect, we’re going to make mistakes, we’re going to miss shots, we’re going to make bad turnovers, bad decisions with the ball, but we just need everybody to believe in us,” Howard said. “We are going to continue to believe in ourselves and believe in each other, but we need our city to continue to believe in us.”
If you believe in the Magic, clap your hands!
Young Magic fans: When the Magic do stumble in the playoffs, know that it’s not your fault. It may be the midseason trades that didn’t provide much useful debt, especially at point guard (but did tie up future cap space). It might have something to do with inconsistent three point shooting. It might have something to do with teams being able to slow the Magic because they can single-cover Howard.
But keep right on clapping.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 32
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 47
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 16
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11