Apr 6, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
“Do you believe in fairies? Say quick that you believe. If you believe, clap your hands!”
—J.M. Barrie, from The Adventures of Peter Pan.
Apparently, the Orlando Magic work on the same principles as fictional fairies like Tinkerbell.
They’ll die if you don’t believe in them.
There’s plenty of cynicism around the Orlando Magic and their playoff chances. They are 2-3 in their last five games, including a loss to almost certain first-round opponent Atlanta.
“We’re not perfect, we’re going to make mistakes, we’re going to miss shots, we’re going to make bad turnovers, bad decisions with the ball, but we just need everybody to believe in us,” Howard said. “We are going to continue to believe in ourselves and believe in each other, but we need our city to continue to believe in us.”
If you believe in the Magic, clap your hands!
Young Magic fans: When the Magic do stumble in the playoffs, know that it’s not your fault. It may be the midseason trades that didn’t provide much useful debt, especially at point guard (but did tie up future cap space). It might have something to do with inconsistent three point shooting. It might have something to do with teams being able to slow the Magic because they can single-cover Howard.
But keep right on clapping.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49