Apr 6, 2011, 8:59 PM EST
Let me explain. First, Howard already has 17 technical fouls this season. For the 16th and every other one after it a player gets a suspension. Howard has served one game for No. 16 (back on March 7) and will serve another for the technical he got Wednesday.
He is also a very deliberate free throw shooter. A number of coaches around the league have asked for referees to asked for the 10-second rule to be called — it is against the rules to take more than 10 seconds to shoot a free throw.
Tonight against the Bobcats, Bennett Salvatore called him on it. It’s a foul and you don’t get to shoot the free throw.
Howard’s real problem isn’t the fouls called against him — even if some are bad calls — it’s his reaction. In this case a frustrated Howard tossed the ball away, not to a referee just away. Salvatore gave him the technical right there.
The league could rescind the technical, but don’t bet on it. Howard got the same foul followed by a technical back on Christmas day (that was not rescinded).
Howard will likely be out Sunday, making the potential second-round playoff preview against the Bulls a lot less interesting.
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 6
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46