Apr 6, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
Let me explain. First, Howard already has 17 technical fouls this season. For the 16th and every other one after it a player gets a suspension. Howard has served one game for No. 16 (back on March 7) and will serve another for the technical he got Wednesday.
He is also a very deliberate free throw shooter. A number of coaches around the league have asked for referees to asked for the 10-second rule to be called — it is against the rules to take more than 10 seconds to shoot a free throw.
Tonight against the Bobcats, Bennett Salvatore called him on it. It’s a foul and you don’t get to shoot the free throw.
Howard’s real problem isn’t the fouls called against him — even if some are bad calls — it’s his reaction. In this case a frustrated Howard tossed the ball away, not to a referee just away. Salvatore gave him the technical right there.
The league could rescind the technical, but don’t bet on it. Howard got the same foul followed by a technical back on Christmas day (that was not rescinded).
Howard will likely be out Sunday, making the potential second-round playoff preview against the Bulls a lot less interesting.
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 1
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 30