Apr 6, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
Let me explain. First, Howard already has 17 technical fouls this season. For the 16th and every other one after it a player gets a suspension. Howard has served one game for No. 16 (back on March 7) and will serve another for the technical he got Wednesday.
He is also a very deliberate free throw shooter. A number of coaches around the league have asked for referees to asked for the 10-second rule to be called — it is against the rules to take more than 10 seconds to shoot a free throw.
Tonight against the Bobcats, Bennett Salvatore called him on it. It’s a foul and you don’t get to shoot the free throw.
Howard’s real problem isn’t the fouls called against him — even if some are bad calls — it’s his reaction. In this case a frustrated Howard tossed the ball away, not to a referee just away. Salvatore gave him the technical right there.
The league could rescind the technical, but don’t bet on it. Howard got the same foul followed by a technical back on Christmas day (that was not rescinded).
Howard will likely be out Sunday, making the potential second-round playoff preview against the Bulls a lot less interesting.
- Kevin Durant: Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan are greatest of all time 21
- LeBron James becomes Obamacare pitchman 17
- Report: Houston Rockets to pursue Carmelo Anthony this summer 22
- The Extra Pass: Talking “Summer Dreams” with producer of Summer League documentary 0
- Thursday NBA grades: Don’t make Mike Dunleavy angry 3