Apr 6, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
Let me explain. First, Howard already has 17 technical fouls this season. For the 16th and every other one after it a player gets a suspension. Howard has served one game for No. 16 (back on March 7) and will serve another for the technical he got Wednesday.
He is also a very deliberate free throw shooter. A number of coaches around the league have asked for referees to asked for the 10-second rule to be called — it is against the rules to take more than 10 seconds to shoot a free throw.
Tonight against the Bobcats, Bennett Salvatore called him on it. It’s a foul and you don’t get to shoot the free throw.
Howard’s real problem isn’t the fouls called against him — even if some are bad calls — it’s his reaction. In this case a frustrated Howard tossed the ball away, not to a referee just away. Salvatore gave him the technical right there.
The league could rescind the technical, but don’t bet on it. Howard got the same foul followed by a technical back on Christmas day (that was not rescinded).
Howard will likely be out Sunday, making the potential second-round playoff preview against the Bulls a lot less interesting.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 44
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4