Bulls fan curses at, spits on Grant Hill… wait Grant Hill?

Apr 6, 2011, 1:55 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

Grant Hill is about the least offensive guy in the NBA. Even Jalen Rose gets along with him now. Hill doesn’t trash talk, was an elite player,  has fought back from devastating ankle injuries to be a key player again, and David Stern loves him because he doesn’t scare the rich corporate CEOs in the luxury boxes.

But apparently Hill offends one Bulls fan who couldn’t contain himself after the Bulls win over Phoenix Tuesday, Paul Coro relates in the Arizona Republic.

As Hill left the floor after the game, he was held back from a fan who he said cursed and spit at him.

“He said some profanity and spit in my direction,” Hill said. “I’m not going to let somebody spit at me. He knew he did wrong because he took off running.”

Hill was held back by security, who caught the fan.

“I just saw the anger in his face,” (Vince) Carter said. “When you see Grant like that, you know something’s up. Grant doesn’t say anything to anybody. He competes and does his job.”

What, did Hill say he prefers New York style thin-curst pizza? Or as SBNs’ Tom Ziller suggested, did Hill say Dwight Howard was MVP?

I’m not going to let one idiot Bulls fan color the entire fanbase, Chicago is a great city with great sports fans… but seriously, Grant Hill? Chicago, you’ve got to stop opening up the doors to the asylum.

1. denverhoopdreams - Apr 6, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Wow, really? I understand heckling the other teams player… but spitting? WOW. Isolated incident of course. What a loser.

2. chitownbulls - Apr 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Aww man… As a Chicago native, I apologize, on behalf of the city… The only answer I can think of is copious amounts of alcohol. You can find packs of completely drunk losers at both the Bulls and Cubs games…

• denverhoopdreams - Apr 6, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Apology accepted! LOL.

3. fouldwimmerlaik - Apr 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I didn’t know Charles Barkley was a Bulls fan!

• denverhoopdreams - Apr 6, 2011 at 2:41 PM

That was just turr-ible.

4. umiami11 - Apr 6, 2011 at 2:57 PM

He has fought back from devastating ankle injuries, not knee.

• Kurt Helin - Apr 6, 2011 at 5:40 PM

umiami11 you were right, ankle, my bad but it’s fixed. Just spaced on that one.

5. chargerdillon - Apr 6, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Good thing the spit didnt land on him, you might have hurt Hill’s glass knees again

• denverhoopdreams - Apr 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Someone who obviously doesn’t know anything about Grant Hill. As Kurt and umiami11 stated, it’s his ANKLE.

6. rcj78fbi - Apr 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

oh come on really chicago has great sports fans thats a bunch of bs to remember what the bears fans did to the saints fans during the nfc championship in 2006 come on man saying that chicago has great sports fans is like saying the iranians want peace come on man

• redstar504 - Apr 10, 2011 at 5:46 AM

I am a die hard Saints fan and I was at that 2006 NFC Championship game. I didn’t see the fools with the, “Finishing what Katrina started” signs; but outside of the typical trash talk you get in any NFL stadium when you show up sporting the opponent’s gear it really wasn’t all that bad. I was sitting way up in section 350 something, cheep seats, and suronded by Bears fans. A few other folks from New Orleans said they had some incidents but personally I didn’t. I found the folks there to be pretty nice all and all.

When you go to an NFL game in another city the kind of stuff/incidents that people said happend at that game happens in every NFL stadium I wouldn’t go as far as singling out Chicago. I have been treated way worse in other cities Dallas and Atlanta being the worst I have experienced.

That said there is no excuse for going after Grant Hill. The guy is a class act. I had seats behind the Suns bench yesterday (Friday) he seemed to be a consumate professional and was polite to all the folks who were sitting around him dispite the fact that the Hornets were stomping the Suns. That doesn’t make me an expert judge of his character but he doesn’t seem like a guy that would merit that kind of treatment (no one deserves that). I think you just had some drunk moron don’t blame Chicago blame the mornic fan.

7. pudgalvin - Apr 6, 2011 at 7:20 PM

At least we know how to use punctuation.

8. rcj78fbi - Apr 6, 2011 at 8:02 PM

hey pudgalvin i know how to use puncatuation i just use it on stupid websites like this. so go stick your thumb in your mouth you little girl.

9. zackd2 - Apr 6, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Was it Jalen Rose?

10. philtration - Apr 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Your stupid campaign against the Bulls is now crossed over into hysterical obsession Kurt.
    I hope for your sake that you are 18 years old and will grow out of this.

11. goforthanddie - Apr 7, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Maybe he just moved in from Philly.

12. blueintown - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:43 AM

I’m not going to let one idiot Bulls fan color the entire fanbase, but I am going to post an article about it on probasketballtalk.com and then use my final sentence of said article to color an entire fanbase. -Kurt

13. helinhater - Apr 7, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I’ve been on Kurt’s case since I signed up (as the moniker should suggest). I’ve long felt he’s hellbent on going after the Bulls…

But in this particular situation, he’s not exactly throwing a low blow.

A Bulls fan spit on Grant Hill.

Whether other fans of other teams have ever done that is irrelevant to the current discussion.

Whether Bulls fans – by and large – are great fans is irrelevant to the discussion.

What is relevant is that a Bulls fan spit on Grant Hill.

It is what it is.

14. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Hill is a smooth fella, that was not nice Mr. Chicago Fan who likes to spit.
    The Suns should have given his a wedgie.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches