Apr 6, 2011, 4:19 PM EDT
Yes, we know. Your team would have done so much better if it weren’t for the injuries.
Just know that there is always some team that had it worse.
Unless you’re a Milwaukee Bucks fan.
Over at Basketball Prospectus, friend-of-the-site Kevin Pelton did the heavy lifting and compiled the lists of man games lost to injury this season. The Bucks were your “winners” with 15 players having missed time, totaling 267 games. The Bucks also won when Peloton figured out the regular rotation minutes lost due to injury. Portland was second in games lost and sixth in minutes.
Nobody has had it worse in terms of the sheer number of injuries than the Milwaukee Bucks. Basically, every player on the Milwaukee roster has missed time, including extended absences for Carlos Delfino, Drew Gooden, Ersan Ilyasova and Brandon. The Portland Trail Blazers haven’t been beset by injuries quite as badly as they were a year ago, but a pair of Portland players (Greg Oden and rookie Elliot Williams) have missed the entire season due to knee surgery. So has Jeff Pendergraph, who doesn’t count here because he was waived after tearing his ACL. Having centers Oden, Pendergraph and Joel Przybilla all sidelined at the start of the year forced Nate McMillan to rely on Sean Marks and Fabricio Oberto for rotation minutes.
Boston has also suffered a lot of missed time to injuries — the Celtics were third in games lost (233) and second in rotation minutes lost. That speaks a lot to some of their recent struggles, and to how well they overcame them, but it was also the risk they took on assembling a veteran team with some injury prone guys (Shaquille O’Neal and Jermaine O’Neal). They got through the season near the top of the east but how those injuries bleed over into the playoffs will determine how this season is remembered in Boston.
On the other end of the spectrum — Doug Collins caught some breaks (or more accurately didn’t catch many breaks) with Philadelphia. No matter how you want to define the numbers, Philly was the healthiest team in the NBA. Although that seems to be catching up with them.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18