Apr 6, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Ben Wallace has one more season on what will almost certainly be his last NBA contract, he is set to make nearly $2.3 million.
And that might not be enough to bring him back.
Wallace has reached the end of a frustrating season in Detroit — one where his game regressed and the team was in a constant state of turmoil, fighting with the coach — and he’s thinking about what’s next. He’ll turn 38 next season, does he want to go through the grind again? He told the Detroit News he’s got to think about it.
“That’s always been the case, the last couple of years,” said Wallace, 37. “When the season is over with, I’ll see how my body feels. See if I can get my strength back. If can help this team, maybe I’ll come back…
“I’d definitely like to honor (the contract),” Wallace said. “But I have to do what’s best for me as far as my body. My legs are feeling good. Let me run up and down the court a little bit, see if I need to do some more work or sit my butt down.”
The lockout may play into this. If a chunk of the season is missed and Wallace has to play a reduced number of games that might be enticing. The coaching situation and state of the franchise will play into it, too.
Wallace doesn’t need the money — he’s made more than $85 million in his career — this will really be a question of desire.
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 0
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 6
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 9
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)