Apr 6, 2011, 5:36 PM EDT
- “The LeBrons” is available for free on the internet, and doesn’t have any commercial breaks. How does it pay for itself? Blatant product placement! In the first episode, Nike, HP, Beats By Dre, and Bing all had logos prominently featured in the show, and Gucci was mentioned favorably.
- “Business LeBron” is the only LeBron voiced by LeBron, and the show seems to be extremely ambivalent about him. This should come as no surprise, as Business LeBron did once state that “dunk contests are bourgeois,” which is the most bizarre sports ad quote ever. Business LeBron is a narcissist that flaunts his money, and serves as an antagonist in the plot of the pilot episode, which suggests that he is the villain of the series. However, the series does seem to have a strange form of compassion for Business LeBron.
- Kid LeBron, not Athlete LeBron, is the protagonist of the story. It is unclear what his relation to the other LeBrons is. Is Wise LeBron the Patriarch? Are Business and Athlete LeBrons like uncles or brothers? Who is raising Kid LeBron?
- Why yes, the pilot episode did feature an homage to the “Ear Scene” from Reservoir Dogs with a lion and a bulldog. I am not making that up.
- Overall, the show could have been worse — it isn’t life-changing, but it’s well-spirited and reasonably funny at times, although some of that is offset by the inherent ridiculousness.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 2
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 10
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18