Apr 5, 2011, 11:31 AM EDT
It could have been coincidental that Mike D’Antoni’s agent was around the Knicks offices and team just days after the team secured their first playoff spot since approximately the Carter administration. Or at least it felt like it was that long in New York.
But it turns out no, the agent has a motive. Who knew? He wanted to talk with the Knicks about an extension for his client, according to the New York Post. D’Antoni’s deal runs through the end of next season currently.
“Yeah, I love what I do,’’ D’Antoni said Monday when asked if he wanted to return. “I like my guys, so it’s all good. Again, I’m not focused on that per se. Hypothetically, I’d love to. But we need to make some noise right now, so that’s where we’re at.’’
Good luck getting that extension right now — Donnie Walsh can’t even find out if he is coming back next season and his option has to be picked up by the end of the month. And besides, D’Antoni knows the work isn’t done. Making the playoffs was step one. But with two stars in the fold and a former All-Star point guard the stakes will be higher next season (whenever there is a next season). He’s going to have to get a lot more out of this roster.
But go ahead and ask. I’m sure James Dolan will be very receptive.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61