Apr 5, 2011, 11:31 AM EST
It could have been coincidental that Mike D’Antoni’s agent was around the Knicks offices and team just days after the team secured their first playoff spot since approximately the Carter administration. Or at least it felt like it was that long in New York.
But it turns out no, the agent has a motive. Who knew? He wanted to talk with the Knicks about an extension for his client, according to the New York Post. D’Antoni’s deal runs through the end of next season currently.
“Yeah, I love what I do,’’ D’Antoni said Monday when asked if he wanted to return. “I like my guys, so it’s all good. Again, I’m not focused on that per se. Hypothetically, I’d love to. But we need to make some noise right now, so that’s where we’re at.’’
Good luck getting that extension right now — Donnie Walsh can’t even find out if he is coming back next season and his option has to be picked up by the end of the month. And besides, D’Antoni knows the work isn’t done. Making the playoffs was step one. But with two stars in the fold and a former All-Star point guard the stakes will be higher next season (whenever there is a next season). He’s going to have to get a lot more out of this roster.
But go ahead and ask. I’m sure James Dolan will be very receptive.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 39
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8