Apr 5, 2011, 11:31 AM EDT
It could have been coincidental that Mike D’Antoni’s agent was around the Knicks offices and team just days after the team secured their first playoff spot since approximately the Carter administration. Or at least it felt like it was that long in New York.
But it turns out no, the agent has a motive. Who knew? He wanted to talk with the Knicks about an extension for his client, according to the New York Post. D’Antoni’s deal runs through the end of next season currently.
“Yeah, I love what I do,’’ D’Antoni said Monday when asked if he wanted to return. “I like my guys, so it’s all good. Again, I’m not focused on that per se. Hypothetically, I’d love to. But we need to make some noise right now, so that’s where we’re at.’’
Good luck getting that extension right now — Donnie Walsh can’t even find out if he is coming back next season and his option has to be picked up by the end of the month. And besides, D’Antoni knows the work isn’t done. Making the playoffs was step one. But with two stars in the fold and a former All-Star point guard the stakes will be higher next season (whenever there is a next season). He’s going to have to get a lot more out of this roster.
But go ahead and ask. I’m sure James Dolan will be very receptive.
- Report: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 11
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 4
- PBT Podcast: NBA playoff preview edition 2
- NBA Playoff Preview: Memphis Grizzlies vs. Oklahoma City Thunder 7
- NBA Playoff Preview: Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trail Blazers 16