Apr 5, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Chris Mullin’s divorce from the Golden State Warriors was a messy affair. The former star player who became GM lost the power struggle for the soul of the franchise with Don Nelson’s side and was banished.
New owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber changed the equation. Nelson was out.
And now the newly minted Hall of Famer Mullin may be back in good graces with the franchise, as Matt Steinmentz at CSN Bay Area reports.
New Owner Joe Lacob seems to be going out of his way to make it happen. Just hours after Mullin’s announcement was made public, Lacob called Mullin to offer his congratulations and to begin planting the seeds about the organization honoring Mullin in some way.
And Mullin indicated late last week that he’s receptive to re-opening the lines of communication with the team. As most Warriors followers know, Mullin’s tenure as general manager didn’t end well and left a bad taste.
Lacob is intent on fixing that, and all but assured that at some point next season Mullin’s No. 17 jersey will hang from the Oracle rafters along with those Warriors already honored: Tom Meschery, Alvin Attles, Nate Thurmond, Rick Barry and Wilt Chamberlain.
Mullin’s jersey should hang in the rafters. He should be part of the Warriors family.
There are a lot of questions left about how good an owner Lacob will be, there are a lot of questions about the direction of the franchise. But still there are some steps in the right direction in the Bay Area. This is one of them.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 76
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 19
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay