Apr 5, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Chris Mullin’s divorce from the Golden State Warriors was a messy affair. The former star player who became GM lost the power struggle for the soul of the franchise with Don Nelson’s side and was banished.
New owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber changed the equation. Nelson was out.
And now the newly minted Hall of Famer Mullin may be back in good graces with the franchise, as Matt Steinmentz at CSN Bay Area reports.
New Owner Joe Lacob seems to be going out of his way to make it happen. Just hours after Mullin’s announcement was made public, Lacob called Mullin to offer his congratulations and to begin planting the seeds about the organization honoring Mullin in some way.
And Mullin indicated late last week that he’s receptive to re-opening the lines of communication with the team. As most Warriors followers know, Mullin’s tenure as general manager didn’t end well and left a bad taste.
Lacob is intent on fixing that, and all but assured that at some point next season Mullin’s No. 17 jersey will hang from the Oracle rafters along with those Warriors already honored: Tom Meschery, Alvin Attles, Nate Thurmond, Rick Barry and Wilt Chamberlain.
Mullin’s jersey should hang in the rafters. He should be part of the Warriors family.
There are a lot of questions left about how good an owner Lacob will be, there are a lot of questions about the direction of the franchise. But still there are some steps in the right direction in the Bay Area. This is one of them.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 7
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 16
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3