Apr 5, 2011, 12:44 PM EST
Kevin Love may or may not be happy with the way things are going in Minnesota. It doesn’t really matter right now. He has another year guaranteed on his deal plus a team option for the year after that.
Even if he wanted out – and there is certainly interest around the league in his talents — he doesn’t have a lot of leverage. And maybe he doesn’t want out — there are some building blocks for the Timberwolves (Love being a key one of them, the yet-to-arrive Ricky Rubio being another), even if they seem an odd fit together. Of course the team has financial issues. And the coach may be on his way out. There are a lot of questions.
With Love likely done for the season (although he said he wants to try and play this weekend) he seemed reflective and said all the politically correct things about staying in a conversation with the Pioneer Press.
“If everything works out right, I would love to be here,” said Love, who was held out of Monday’s practice because of a strained left groin and will not join the Wolves (17-60) for tonight’s game at New Jersey. “I can definitely see myself here for the long term. I like the city. I like the people and the organization. I’m comfortable where I’m at except for the cold weather, but I’ve adjusted to it.”
How he handles the end of his rookie deal will likely have a lot to do with the changes the team makes and how it plays next season. And he likely was sincere that he wants to stay. If the team is on a track to winning. Nobody is just sure it is.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 3
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 17
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17