Apr 4, 2011, 10:23 AM EDT
Reports leaked out this weekend that Jerry Sloan would consider returning to coaching if the situation was right.
Of course, that was from a source. The Salt Lake Tribune called Sloan, about as straight a shooter as has ever coached in the league, and it sure didn’t sound like he wants back in anytime soon.
“I don’t know where that came from,” Sloan said. “It sounds like somebody threw it out there. … But that’s not my game.”
Sloan’s long-time assistant Phil Johnson, who also stepped down when Sloan did Feb.10, was more direct.
Johnson told The Tribune on Sunday that he has no interest in coaching again, and does not think that his lifelong friend does, either.
“In our business, you can never say never,” Johnson said. “I just doubt either one of us would coach again. That’s just a feeling.”
He added: “It was time to get out of it. That’s the bottom line.”
While I would pitch in to see the drama that would follow if Mark Cuban hired Sloan, looks like that is just another dream dashed.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 4
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 18
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 26
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy