Apr 4, 2011, 12:49 PM EDT
UPDATE 12:53 pm: The reports about Maurice Cheeks also making the Hall of Fame have proven inaccurate — he was not invited to join the hall this year. Chris Mullin was. There will be a post on the class up soon.
9:49 am: We’ll know officially in a couple hours — the announcement is at noon Eastern on NBA TV — but it looks like a couple more people have made it to the Hall of fame.
Chris Mullin — the legendary player at St. Johns and in the NBA, who also went on to be a Warriors general manager — as well as Maurice Cheeks will get the call, according to reports. The Sun Times has the word about Cheeks, the Bay Area News Group has the Mullin report.
Mullin seemed a logical choice — not that we’ve come to expect logic from the Hall, which has left Mullin on the outside looking in the past four years. Mullin has a complete basketball resume: In college he was given the Wooden Award (the Heisman of college hoops), he went on to be a five-time NBA All-Star and he has two Olympic gold medals. He was on the original Dream Team. He then went on to be in the Warriors front office as GM. That’s a guy who belongs in the Hall.
Maurice Cheeks was a 16-year NBA veteran who was a four-time All-Star and one of the best defensive guards of his era. He averaged 16.3 points and 7 assists per game during the Sixers 1983 playoff run to win the NBA title. He went on to be head coach of the Trial Blazers and the Sixers (he is currently a Thunder assistant).
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 32
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 10
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23