Apr 4, 2011, 12:49 PM EDT
UPDATE 12:53 pm: The reports about Maurice Cheeks also making the Hall of Fame have proven inaccurate — he was not invited to join the hall this year. Chris Mullin was. There will be a post on the class up soon.
9:49 am: We’ll know officially in a couple hours — the announcement is at noon Eastern on NBA TV — but it looks like a couple more people have made it to the Hall of fame.
Chris Mullin — the legendary player at St. Johns and in the NBA, who also went on to be a Warriors general manager — as well as Maurice Cheeks will get the call, according to reports. The Sun Times has the word about Cheeks, the Bay Area News Group has the Mullin report.
Mullin seemed a logical choice — not that we’ve come to expect logic from the Hall, which has left Mullin on the outside looking in the past four years. Mullin has a complete basketball resume: In college he was given the Wooden Award (the Heisman of college hoops), he went on to be a five-time NBA All-Star and he has two Olympic gold medals. He was on the original Dream Team. He then went on to be in the Warriors front office as GM. That’s a guy who belongs in the Hall.
Maurice Cheeks was a 16-year NBA veteran who was a four-time All-Star and one of the best defensive guards of his era. He averaged 16.3 points and 7 assists per game during the Sixers 1983 playoff run to win the NBA title. He went on to be head coach of the Trial Blazers and the Sixers (he is currently a Thunder assistant).
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 9
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7