Apr 3, 2011, 11:36 AM EDT
Good for the Spurs, bad for the Suns, terrible for ratings.
Steve Nash will miss today’s matinée against the Spurs as he sits out his second consecutive game with flu-like symptoms. Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic reports:
The Suns don’t have Steve Nash, who is home ill with flulike symptoms for a second consecutive game.
The Suns are on the brink of elimination today, whether they lose or New Orleans wins at home against Indiana.
The Suns are playing the motivated Spurs, whose six-game skid is the longest since Tim Duncan has been on the team and has cut their West lead on the Lakers to 1 ½ games.
Basically, the Suns are screwed here. Nash is their best player, and without him this season, they are 1-4. It’s not terribly shocking that the Suns are going to miss the playoffs (barring a miracle) after losing Amar’e Stoudemire and then making a midseason trade of their second best player (Jason Richards0n) for the able Marcin Gortat and… Vince Carter… but it’s disappointing nonetheless.
Perhaps seeing what this team looks like without Nash will be enough to push management to actually reform the roster as something of an up-and-coming unit. The “scrappy underdogs” thing is good for about a season and a half, but at some point you need to get serious about the future or you’re going to wind up in purgatory.
It’s also yet another sign of the times. A year ago the Suns were on their way to a Western Conference Finals appearance. Now they’re taking on water with no clear plan for the future. It’s been an intense season.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18