Apr 3, 2011, 11:36 AM EDT
Good for the Spurs, bad for the Suns, terrible for ratings.
Steve Nash will miss today’s matinée against the Spurs as he sits out his second consecutive game with flu-like symptoms. Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic reports:
The Suns don’t have Steve Nash, who is home ill with flulike symptoms for a second consecutive game.
The Suns are on the brink of elimination today, whether they lose or New Orleans wins at home against Indiana.
The Suns are playing the motivated Spurs, whose six-game skid is the longest since Tim Duncan has been on the team and has cut their West lead on the Lakers to 1 ½ games.
Basically, the Suns are screwed here. Nash is their best player, and without him this season, they are 1-4. It’s not terribly shocking that the Suns are going to miss the playoffs (barring a miracle) after losing Amar’e Stoudemire and then making a midseason trade of their second best player (Jason Richards0n) for the able Marcin Gortat and… Vince Carter… but it’s disappointing nonetheless.
Perhaps seeing what this team looks like without Nash will be enough to push management to actually reform the roster as something of an up-and-coming unit. The “scrappy underdogs” thing is good for about a season and a half, but at some point you need to get serious about the future or you’re going to wind up in purgatory.
It’s also yet another sign of the times. A year ago the Suns were on their way to a Western Conference Finals appearance. Now they’re taking on water with no clear plan for the future. It’s been an intense season.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 2
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 3
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5