Apr 3, 2011, 8:57 PM EDT
Hey, so remember earlier when we told you Shaq might play Sunday night? Yeah, good news, he did play! Looked good to start out, too, making a layup and swatting away a layup. Things looked great.
You know how this ends, right?
Shaq came up limping against the Pistons in the first half, and did not return to the Celtics’ 101-90 win over Detroit. The Celtics are calling it a calf strain according to CSN New England. It is in the right leg, which had been bothering him with an Achilles problem, but was not related to the ankle. Despite looking terrible to begin with, and needing to be brought to the locker room in a wheelchair, the Celtics have once again dodged a bullet. Jermaine O’Neal on the other hand, played close to 18 minutes, finished with 6 rebounds, 5 points, and 3 turnovers. The rebounds are the important thing there.
So Nenad Krstic has a minor injury and is out a few games. Shaq has a minor injury and could be out a number of games, plus his usual cushion. In short, the Celtics will continue to walk the razor’s edge in terms of center depth until the playoffs start. Then all they have to do is muscle up, get healthy, get in rhythm, beat what will probably be either the Knicks (who are center soft as well) or Philadelphia (who are a bit trickier), close out the first round in time to get some time before facing what is likely Miami who will probably also thump their first round opponent, then close out Miami in reasonable time to face what will most likely be Chicago with Joakim Noah, Omer Asik, and Kurt Thomas down low, then beat what will almost certainly be the Lakers with Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum.
Peace of cake.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 75
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32