Apr 1, 2011, 11:29 AM EDT
Duke’s Kyrie Irving missed most of the college season with a foot injury, came back in the NCAA Tournament and quickly established himself as the best player on the Blue Devil team again.
That was good enough for scouts — he is pretty much the consensus No. 1. He’s the one guy in this draft Jonathan Givony of Draft Express says could be a franchise changer (in a good way, don’t worry some GMs will find some franchise changers of the other kind in this draft). Irving has the complete game you want in a point guard.
And it looks like he is going to enter the draft, reports Chad Ford at ESPN’s draft blog.
We should be getting updates soon from a number of the top underclassmen. Sources say Kyrie Irving is leaning strongly toward declaring for the NBA Draft and should be making an announcement soon. Ditto for Baylor’s Perry Jones, UConn’s Kemba Walker and Kentucky’s Terrence Jones.
Duke fans can say Irving should get a full year of college ball if they want, but the fact is if you are going to be the top overall pick (or even are in the lottery) you make the move and go pro.
That said, the coming lockout is the big issue. Enter the draft, get picked, then you will sit and wait around until the labor situation is resolved. Which could be into the NBA season. Then when things start up training camps will be reduced in time, so there will be less time to learn the team’s system and adjust to the NBA game.
The lockout may keep some players in school. But apparently not Irving.
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 0
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 34
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 14
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 27
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay