Apr 1, 2011, 5:54 PM EDT
With the regular season winding down, the threat of an impending lockout becomes more and more real. The current CBA is set to expire on June 30th, and Maurice Evans, a vice president of the NBA Players association, told HoopsHype’s Chris Thomasson that he doesn’t think a new agreement will be reached by then:
Could you provide an update on collective bargaining following the meeting between the sides in February during All-Star Weekend?
Maurice Evans: We’re just waiting until the season is pretty much over because we won’t have a chance to all meet again until the NBA Finals are over with (in mid-June). I’m sure we won’t get a deal done by July 1. Therefore, it technically will be a lockout. Hopefully, we’re going to solve those issues before the season starts again.
So it’s pretty much understood that no way will a deal get done by July 1?
ME: Because we’ve had a number of meetings starting over a year ago, almost two years out, and we still haven’t been able to really come to any significant negotiations. Therefore, I know it’s going to go into the summer.
Evans went on to say that he an agreement will be reached before any games are missed and checks aren’t cashed, which would create what he calls a “true” lockout. Evans also said that the league has a lot of momentum going right now. He also hopes David Stern and the owners back off of their “hard-line” negotiating stance, and says that they should start by taking their proposed $700 million salary rollback off the table. Click the link for the full interview — hopefully the owners and players can find some way to work out their disagreements before any games are missed.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 0
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10