Apr 1, 2011, 10:42 PM EST
UPDATE 10:42 pm: Lakers coach Phil Jackson spoke about Barnes and said it’s all good to come to the aid of a teammate, but you better know the situation.
“He’s definitely got to check that stuff at the door in the playoffs,” Jackson said. “You can’t play short-handed in the playoffs.”
Asked if he was proud to see Barnes stand up for a teammate, Jackson said, “The valor about standing up for a teammate that’s been fouled in a way that’s not part of our game, we admire that. But it’s got to be checked off when it comes to playoff time.”
6:42 pm: The NBA has announced that Matt Barnes will be suspended one game for his role in last night’s altercation between the Lakers and Mavericks. In addition to having to deal with being called “soft as toilet paper” by Jason Terry after the game, Barnes will also have to sit and watch the next Laker game. Here’s the NBA’s official release on Barnes’ suspension:
NEW YORK, April 1, 2011 – Matt Barnes of the Los Angeles Lakers hasbeen suspended one game without pay for escalating an on-courtaltercation and actions following his ejection, it was announced todayby Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations.
The incident occurred with 9:23 remaining in the fourth quarter of theLakers’ 110-82 victory over the Dallas Mavericks at Staples Center onMarch 31. Barnes will serve his suspension tonight when the Lakersvisit the Utah Jazz at EnergySolutions Arena.
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 0
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 13
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30