Apr 1, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
UPDATE 10:42 pm: Lakers coach Phil Jackson spoke about Barnes and said it’s all good to come to the aid of a teammate, but you better know the situation.
“He’s definitely got to check that stuff at the door in the playoffs,” Jackson said. “You can’t play short-handed in the playoffs.”
Asked if he was proud to see Barnes stand up for a teammate, Jackson said, “The valor about standing up for a teammate that’s been fouled in a way that’s not part of our game, we admire that. But it’s got to be checked off when it comes to playoff time.”
6:42 pm: The NBA has announced that Matt Barnes will be suspended one game for his role in last night’s altercation between the Lakers and Mavericks. In addition to having to deal with being called “soft as toilet paper” by Jason Terry after the game, Barnes will also have to sit and watch the next Laker game. Here’s the NBA’s official release on Barnes’ suspension:
NEW YORK, April 1, 2011 – Matt Barnes of the Los Angeles Lakers hasbeen suspended one game without pay for escalating an on-courtaltercation and actions following his ejection, it was announced todayby Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations.
The incident occurred with 9:23 remaining in the fourth quarter of theLakers’ 110-82 victory over the Dallas Mavericks at Staples Center onMarch 31. Barnes will serve his suspension tonight when the Lakersvisit the Utah Jazz at EnergySolutions Arena.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 0
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 18
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 28