Apr 1, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
After the Mavs were laid to waste by the Lakers last night — and after they pulled out a classic NHL maneuver and started being physical once the game was out of reach — Chris Webber went on TNT and ripped the Mavs.
“Jason Terry is the only Dallas Maverick that does something. Look at Dirk Nowitzki, look at these two big guys, look at Haywood. They deserve to be fined. I hate to say this, but I put the rules on me team that if were not in there, you deserve to be fined…. But what I am saying is, when your guard gets pushed and no one else on the team … the Lakers already won.”
“Chris Webber has never had an original thought. It doesn’t really matter. You know how these guys work. The last time I looked it was Jason Terry pushing and our guys responding — no one is backing down from anybody. And it’s the same nonsense talked by the same people who haven’t had an original thought in their entire lives. Look, we don’t care what Chris Webber says. It doesn’t matter what Chris Webber says. We just go out and do our thing.”
Cuban is right, calling the Mavericks soft is not original. And calling a team that prefers to shoot jump shots on the perimeter soft is not accurate. It’s not fair. But the Lakers were more physical when it mattered Thursday, and that feeds the common perception. Whatever you think of that perception. That physicality also leads to wins for the Lakers over Dallas.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18