Apr 1, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
The fallout from Wednesday’s Heat-Wizards fracas that led to three ejections and a one-game suspension for John Wall continues. According to Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel, Heat forward plans to appeal the $35,000 fine he received for pushing JaVale McGee after John Wall and Zyrundas Ilgauskas were both issued flagrant-2 fouls:
“I wouldn’t regret [pushing McGee] if I had to do it again,” said Howard, who said he merely was trying to protect a teammate. “Unfortunately, I just thought that the penalty was very harsh.”
“I respect the fact that the NBA, of course, wants to take a stance as far as cleaning up the game,” the veteran forward said, “but, unfortunately, a situation like that happened. Hopefully, we don’t have to deal with it again.
“I’m definitely going to appeal.”
Howard said he was disappointed there was no equal sanction against Wizards center JaVale McGee, with the two at one point trading shoves.
“I don’t think that should have been an ejection, in my opinion,” Howard said, “but if you’re going to take that route, then be fair and go ahead and eject McGee, too.”
Howard was defending a teammate, and it looked like McGee may have been about to shove Ilgauskas, but if you shove another player during a dead-ball situation, you should expect a flagrant-2 and a fine. Howard’s actions weren’t entirely indefensible, but I doubt this one will be overturned.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50