Apr 1, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
The fallout from Wednesday’s Heat-Wizards fracas that led to three ejections and a one-game suspension for John Wall continues. According to Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel, Heat forward plans to appeal the $35,000 fine he received for pushing JaVale McGee after John Wall and Zyrundas Ilgauskas were both issued flagrant-2 fouls:
“I wouldn’t regret [pushing McGee] if I had to do it again,” said Howard, who said he merely was trying to protect a teammate. “Unfortunately, I just thought that the penalty was very harsh.”
“I respect the fact that the NBA, of course, wants to take a stance as far as cleaning up the game,” the veteran forward said, “but, unfortunately, a situation like that happened. Hopefully, we don’t have to deal with it again.
“I’m definitely going to appeal.”
Howard said he was disappointed there was no equal sanction against Wizards center JaVale McGee, with the two at one point trading shoves.
“I don’t think that should have been an ejection, in my opinion,” Howard said, “but if you’re going to take that route, then be fair and go ahead and eject McGee, too.”
Howard was defending a teammate, and it looked like McGee may have been about to shove Ilgauskas, but if you shove another player during a dead-ball situation, you should expect a flagrant-2 and a fine. Howard’s actions weren’t entirely indefensible, but I doubt this one will be overturned.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7