Apr 1, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
The fallout from Wednesday’s Heat-Wizards fracas that led to three ejections and a one-game suspension for John Wall continues. According to Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel, Heat forward plans to appeal the $35,000 fine he received for pushing JaVale McGee after John Wall and Zyrundas Ilgauskas were both issued flagrant-2 fouls:
“I wouldn’t regret [pushing McGee] if I had to do it again,” said Howard, who said he merely was trying to protect a teammate. “Unfortunately, I just thought that the penalty was very harsh.”
“I respect the fact that the NBA, of course, wants to take a stance as far as cleaning up the game,” the veteran forward said, “but, unfortunately, a situation like that happened. Hopefully, we don’t have to deal with it again.
“I’m definitely going to appeal.”
Howard said he was disappointed there was no equal sanction against Wizards center JaVale McGee, with the two at one point trading shoves.
“I don’t think that should have been an ejection, in my opinion,” Howard said, “but if you’re going to take that route, then be fair and go ahead and eject McGee, too.”
Howard was defending a teammate, and it looked like McGee may have been about to shove Ilgauskas, but if you shove another player during a dead-ball situation, you should expect a flagrant-2 and a fine. Howard’s actions weren’t entirely indefensible, but I doubt this one will be overturned.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 57
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59