Apr 1, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
This is overdue.
That doesn’t mean there isn’t drama. There is always drama when Dennis Rodman is involved. The former Piston rebounding and defensive machine that was a key part of the Pistons’ Bad Boy title teams will have his No. 10 retired by the Pistons in a ceremony Friday night.
The only concern was whether Rodman would be there, the Detroit Free Press reports.
Nobody knew absolutely for sure that former Pistons star would attend a special reception in his honor at Ginopolis Restaurant in Farmington Hills Thursday evening until he walked through the door around 8:30. And everyone breathed a sigh of relief…
“I thought it was an April Fools’ joke when they called me about it the first time,” Rodman said. “I was shocked. I don’t think I should have my jersey retired because I was probably the fifth most important guy on those teams.”
“I was little nervous about coming back at first,” he said. “But it’s great seeing everybody.”
This is a deserved honor for Rodman, as is being in the Hall of Fame (which may not happen but should). We are talking about one of the best rebounders the game has ever seen, a defensive force, the kind of guy that makes a title team.
And you can be sure there will be a little drama tonight in Detroit, too.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 16
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 20
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins' little wins pay off big in Game 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury