Mar 31, 2011, 7:25 PM EDT
Ron Artest, who once jumped into the stands and got suspended for a full season, and Dwight Howard, who currently leads the league in technical fouls, are both finalists for the Walter J. Kennedy Citizenship award. The award is given each year to an NBA figure who shows “outstanding service and dedication to the community.” Kyle Korver and Marcus Camby are the other two finalists for the award.
Artest has become a spokesman for mental health awareness, and auctioned off his NBA championship ring to pay for school psychiatry.
On Valentine’s day, Dwight Howard launched the D12 Foundation, whose stated goal is “to work with children’s organizations in establishing programs that will plant seeds of generosity, encourage education, support leadership, and inspire activity and health in the youth it reaches.”
Korver launched the Kyle Korver foundation, which reaches out to underprivileged youth in Philadelphia, Omaha, Salt Lake City, and Chicago.
Marcus Camby has been heavily involved with many charitable organizations throughout his 14-year NBA career.
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 5
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games