Mar 31, 2011, 1:06 PM EDT
Okay Boston fans, now you can start to really worry.
Doc Rivers pushed the timeline back for Shaq’s return from an Achilles tendon injury again, this time maybe as far back as the start of the playoffs, friend of the site A. Sherrod Blakely reports at CSN New England. (He also notes the Celtics have apparently been learning from the Bill Belichick injury reports.)
“I really hope we can get him before the playoffs,” said Rivers, who added that the injury is starting to “get close to bleeding” into the teams’ postseason plans.
While the C’s maintain there hasn’t been any setback, they do say it has taken longer to heal than anticipated (isn’t that a setback?)….
“The good thing with him is that he’s still big and strong,” Rivers said. “But that (not playing until the playoffs) would be difficult.”
This will certainly ramp up the complaints about the Kendrick Perkins trade.
The Celtics will get Jermaine O’Neal back, maybe as Thursday night against the Spurs. He will be asked to be the defensive anchor until Shaq returns. Whenever that is.
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 0
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 13
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 19
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 7
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36