Mar 30, 2011, 10:13 AM EDT
Jay-Z is a hoops fan, just with a lot more access than the rest of us. Because what doorman anywhere is stopping Jay-Z when he walks up?
Like the doorman at an NCAA tournament game. After Kentucky’s win over North Carolina Sunday to send them to the Final Four, Jay-Z was in the locker room congratulating the Wildcat players. Who were pretty thrilled to meet him (but may have preferred meeting Beyonce).
Except, as a minorty owner of the Nets, Jay-Z can’t have that kind of contact with college recruits, as Ken Berger reports at CBSSports.
The NBA plans to investigate contact between Nets part-owner Jay-Z and members of the Kentucky basketball team after the Wildcats beat North Carolina Sunday to advance to the Final Four, a person with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com. The hip-hop mogul’s visit was documented in photos and video showing him congratulating players in the Kentucky locker room, which happened to have been occupied by two potential lottery picks — Brandon Knight and Terrance Jones.
Berger notes that Celtics GM Danny Ainge got fined $30,000 for having a conversation with Kevin Durant’s mother in the stands at the 2007 Big 12 Tournament. This was much more, he was in the locker room with a number of guys who could be in the NBA in a few years.
Now, Jay-Z wasn’t recruiting for the Nets, and he has little if any say in basketball operations for the team. He was not there on Nets business. It’s a perception thing and he’s going to end up paying for it. We’re also fairly sure he can afford it.
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 0
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 1
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 1
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13