Mar 30, 2011, 10:13 AM EST
Jay-Z is a hoops fan, just with a lot more access than the rest of us. Because what doorman anywhere is stopping Jay-Z when he walks up?
Like the doorman at an NCAA tournament game. After Kentucky’s win over North Carolina Sunday to send them to the Final Four, Jay-Z was in the locker room congratulating the Wildcat players. Who were pretty thrilled to meet him (but may have preferred meeting Beyonce).
Except, as a minorty owner of the Nets, Jay-Z can’t have that kind of contact with college recruits, as Ken Berger reports at CBSSports.
The NBA plans to investigate contact between Nets part-owner Jay-Z and members of the Kentucky basketball team after the Wildcats beat North Carolina Sunday to advance to the Final Four, a person with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com. The hip-hop mogul’s visit was documented in photos and video showing him congratulating players in the Kentucky locker room, which happened to have been occupied by two potential lottery picks — Brandon Knight and Terrance Jones.
Berger notes that Celtics GM Danny Ainge got fined $30,000 for having a conversation with Kevin Durant’s mother in the stands at the 2007 Big 12 Tournament. This was much more, he was in the locker room with a number of guys who could be in the NBA in a few years.
Now, Jay-Z wasn’t recruiting for the Nets, and he has little if any say in basketball operations for the team. He was not there on Nets business. It’s a perception thing and he’s going to end up paying for it. We’re also fairly sure he can afford it.
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 0
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 5
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 4
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)