Mar 30, 2011, 11:49 PM EDT
UPDATE 11:49 pm: The attacker turns out to be a former NBA referee (1997-2001), but apparently this was about money allegedly owed. Isn’t it always? From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
Rashan S. Michel, 36, was arrested and charged with one count of simple battery following the incident, Officer K.Y. Jones with Atlanta police told the AJC.
Michel, who told police he was owed money for suits purchased several years ago, hit Wilkins in the chest and also hit a security guard, Jones said. Michel, of Atlanta, is a former referee, Jones said.
“The fan was promptly arrested and was taken into custody by the Atlanta Police Department,” Hawks spokesman Arthur Triche said in a statement to the AJC. “At this time theHawks have no additional information or comment regarding this situation.”
Michel is known as a guy who custom makes suits for a number of the players, according to reports. There are rumors that Michel may also have gotten the worst of this situation.
11:23 pm: We don’t have a lot of details yet, but it sounds like a situation that could have gone much worse.
A fan attacked Atlanta Hawks legend and color commentator Dominique Wilkins after the Hawks win over the Orlando Magic Wednesday.
The incident happened near the court after Wilkins had finished his television duties, according to the twitter account of Michael Cunningham of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Wilkins apparently was not injured.
Atlanta police arrested the unidentified fan and he is currently in custody. Any motive is not currently known.
We will be updating this story as details become available.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 3
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games