Mar 30, 2011, 11:49 PM EST
UPDATE 11:49 pm: The attacker turns out to be a former NBA referee (1997-2001), but apparently this was about money allegedly owed. Isn’t it always? From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
Rashan S. Michel, 36, was arrested and charged with one count of simple battery following the incident, Officer K.Y. Jones with Atlanta police told the AJC.
Michel, who told police he was owed money for suits purchased several years ago, hit Wilkins in the chest and also hit a security guard, Jones said. Michel, of Atlanta, is a former referee, Jones said.
“The fan was promptly arrested and was taken into custody by the Atlanta Police Department,” Hawks spokesman Arthur Triche said in a statement to the AJC. “At this time theHawks have no additional information or comment regarding this situation.”
Michel is known as a guy who custom makes suits for a number of the players, according to reports. There are rumors that Michel may also have gotten the worst of this situation.
11:23 pm: We don’t have a lot of details yet, but it sounds like a situation that could have gone much worse.
A fan attacked Atlanta Hawks legend and color commentator Dominique Wilkins after the Hawks win over the Orlando Magic Wednesday.
The incident happened near the court after Wilkins had finished his television duties, according to the twitter account of Michael Cunningham of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Wilkins apparently was not injured.
Atlanta police arrested the unidentified fan and he is currently in custody. Any motive is not currently known.
We will be updating this story as details become available.
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 6
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 9
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 11
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 26
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 30
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9