Mar 30, 2011, 1:09 PM EDT
So just we have the roles understood: Carlos Boozer plays the role of Ralph Furley the cranky landlord, and Prince plays Jack Tripper, the renter who has crazy shenanigans happening around him all the time. And since we’re talking Prince, no doubt there were plenty of rotating women to complete the Three’s Company circle.
Turns out that for a while, Carlos Boozer was Prince’s landlord. Yes, that Prince, the guy in the picture. And it went about like you’d imagine, as Boozer told the Chicago Tribune.
“My realtor was like, ‘Yo, there’s this guy who wants to rent your house. He saw it before you bought it,’” Boozer recalled of the 2004 transaction. “I was like, ‘I’m not leasing my house. I’ve never done that.’
“The amount of money he was willing to pay made me reconsider. And that’s how Prince rented my house out.”
How much money? About $70,000 a month for the 10 bedroom, 11 bathroom home, the Tribune reports. And Prince made all sorts of changes to the house, which former teammate Jay Williams explained to ESPN Radio Chicago (as transcribed by ESPNChicago.com)
“Booz told me how he had this massive house … blue fountain waves kind of came down streaming water that led to the front door and all this great stuff,” Williams said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “And I remember him calling me, ‘Dude, you will never guess, I rode past my house like three times, I had no idea it was my house.’
“Supposedly, Prince changed the front gate to the Prince sign, he changed the master bedroom to a hair salon, he changed the streaming blue waters that led to the front door to purple water, he knocked out walls, he changed the molding on top of the ceiling. Booz was livid. So pissed off, so angry … He put his Purple Rain stamp on it … Booz was like, ‘I was getting ready to go over there and beat this little man down.’ And dude was just like ‘Here, Boozer, here is a little check for about a million, it’ll take care of everything, get it back the way you want it.’ And Booz was like, ‘This little man is cool as hell.’”
Boozer was more diplomatic.
“He did some very specific things that were built for him and his lifestyle, which is very different than mine.”
There was a lawsuit, but it was dropped (probably right after the seven figure check, we would guess).
But this is why I have never rented out my house to Prince.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 54
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 35
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights