Mar 29, 2011, 3:46 PM EDT
Well, at least Stan Van Gundy will not get fined for ripping David Stern this time.
But we did want to bring you his mini-rant before his Magic — minus Jameer Nelson and J.J. Redick — went out and lost to the Knicks. He spoke for a lot of NBA fans (and team employees) outside New York and Miami saying (via the New York Daily News):
“With Miami at the beginning of the year and New York since the trade, it’s like, because so many people are interested in what happens with LeBron (James), (Dwyane) Wade and (Chris) Bosh and now with Carmelo (Anthony), Amar’e (Stoudemire) and Chauncey (Billups) you guys think our overwhelming (concern) is ‘what’s happening with Miami and New York?’ Quite honestly, we don’t give a damn,” Van Gundy said. “We don’t. I don’t care. We’re just getting ready to play them…”
“It’s not all Miami and New York,” Van Gundy said. “I know to ESPN it is, but to the rest of us, we actually think some of the rest of the teams matter.”
The Knicks and Heat have gotten a lot of hype. No question. And to you fans out there sick of it — don’t read it. Honestly, if a story about the Miami Heat got as many hits as an Indiana Pacers story then you would see more of a balance on this site or and others, and the same with the other networks that cover the league. Your team is not being persecuted — it’s a democracy. Heat posts get multiple times the traffic of a Pacers post, so while I will continue to do Pacers posts and try to provide news and info on every team, I (and virtually every NBA site out there) will go deeper down the well with the Heat/Knicks/Lakers/Celtics/Bulls because that is what you are reading. It’s what you want, you vote with clicks and eyeballs. Welcome to the new age of media.
But go ahead, you and Stan can choose not care. Don’t click on the post and move on. If enough people agree, you’ll see less Knicks coverage. But don’t bet on it.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48