Mar 29, 2011, 3:46 PM EDT
Well, at least Stan Van Gundy will not get fined for ripping David Stern this time.
But we did want to bring you his mini-rant before his Magic — minus Jameer Nelson and J.J. Redick — went out and lost to the Knicks. He spoke for a lot of NBA fans (and team employees) outside New York and Miami saying (via the New York Daily News):
“With Miami at the beginning of the year and New York since the trade, it’s like, because so many people are interested in what happens with LeBron (James), (Dwyane) Wade and (Chris) Bosh and now with Carmelo (Anthony), Amar’e (Stoudemire) and Chauncey (Billups) you guys think our overwhelming (concern) is ‘what’s happening with Miami and New York?’ Quite honestly, we don’t give a damn,” Van Gundy said. “We don’t. I don’t care. We’re just getting ready to play them…”
“It’s not all Miami and New York,” Van Gundy said. “I know to ESPN it is, but to the rest of us, we actually think some of the rest of the teams matter.”
The Knicks and Heat have gotten a lot of hype. No question. And to you fans out there sick of it — don’t read it. Honestly, if a story about the Miami Heat got as many hits as an Indiana Pacers story then you would see more of a balance on this site or and others, and the same with the other networks that cover the league. Your team is not being persecuted — it’s a democracy. Heat posts get multiple times the traffic of a Pacers post, so while I will continue to do Pacers posts and try to provide news and info on every team, I (and virtually every NBA site out there) will go deeper down the well with the Heat/Knicks/Lakers/Celtics/Bulls because that is what you are reading. It’s what you want, you vote with clicks and eyeballs. Welcome to the new age of media.
But go ahead, you and Stan can choose not care. Don’t click on the post and move on. If enough people agree, you’ll see less Knicks coverage. But don’t bet on it.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37