Stan Van Gundy is sick of the Knicks/Heat hype

Mar 29, 2011, 3:46 PM EDT

Orlando Magic v Miami Heat Getty Images

Well, at least Stan Van Gundy will not get fined for ripping David Stern this time.

But we did want to bring you his mini-rant before his Magic — minus Jameer Nelson and J.J. Redick — went out and lost to the Knicks. He spoke for a lot of NBA fans (and team employees) outside New York and Miami saying (via the New York Daily News):

“With Miami at the beginning of the year and New York since the trade, it’s like, because so many people are interested in what happens with LeBron (James), (Dwyane) Wade and (Chris) Bosh and now with Carmelo (Anthony), Amar’e (Stoudemire) and Chauncey (Billups) you guys think our overwhelming (concern) is ‘what’s happening with Miami and New York?’ Quite honestly, we don’t give a damn,” Van Gundy said. “We don’t. I don’t care. We’re just getting ready to play them…”

“It’s not all Miami and New York,” Van Gundy said. “I know to ESPN it is, but to the rest of us, we actually think some of the rest of the teams matter.”

The Knicks and Heat have gotten a lot of hype. No question. And to you fans out there sick of it — don’t read it. Honestly, if a story about the Miami Heat got as many hits as an Indiana Pacers story then you would see more of a balance on this site or and others, and the same with the other networks that cover the league. Your team is not being persecuted — it’s a democracy. Heat posts get multiple times the traffic of a Pacers post, so while I will continue to do Pacers posts and try to provide news and info on every team, I (and virtually every NBA site out there) will go deeper down the well with the Heat/Knicks/Lakers/Celtics/Bulls because that is what you are reading. It’s what you want, you vote with clicks and eyeballs. Welcome to the new age of media.

But go ahead, you and Stan can choose not care. Don’t click on the post and move on. If enough people agree, you’ll see less Knicks coverage. But don’t bet on it.

1. savocabol1 - Mar 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Amen Stan Van.

2. mharenza - Mar 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Thank you Van Gundy. I don’t think that it is the all the many fans who actually care, rather it is the constant exposure on ESPN. Honestly, I don’t watch any programs outside actually sporting events on any of the ESPN family of networks because they have completely lost their way.

3. purdueman - Mar 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM

The Kings are moving to Anaheim, tra,la,la,la.
    The Kings are moving to Anaheim, tra,la,la,la.
    And nothin no Laker fan do about that.

The Honda Center will be a buzzing, tra,la,la,la.
    The Honda Center will be a buzzing, tra,la,la,la.
    And nothin no Laker fan can do about that (one in ring dances around ring).

Show me your new Royals shirt, tra,la,la,la (does solo dance).
    Show me your new Royals shirt, tra,la,la,la.
    And give one to disgruntled OC Laker fan over there.

Show me your Royals tickets, tra,la,la,la (second solo step).
    Show me your Royals tickets, tra,la,la,la.

Choose your season ticket seats, tra,la,la,la.
    Choose your season ticket seats, tra,la,la,la.
    Now offer that Laker fan a bus ticket way out of here.
    ************
    LOL!!!

4. kertey - Mar 29, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Stan Van Gundy, we are all sick of you.

• purdueman - Mar 29, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Both Van Gumby’s are camera hogging pain in the arses.

• ocgunslinger - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:40 AM

purdueman……I can see your opinions are highly regarded. Perhaps you should keep them to yourself.

5. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 29, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I wonder what Stan will do when he is fired, will he work for ESPN or TNT, maybe
    NBA TV and that is ifStern gives the thumbs up.I think Stan is worried about his job.
    Hey Stan, how about the Knickerbockers.

6. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 29, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Oh my god what will Kobe do, he will have to compete with a team that is below .500.
    Who will go to Staples center now, Honda Center will be pack, they will line up to see
    the best under .500 team in the history of the NBA.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches