Mar 29, 2011, 10:57 AM EDT
Boston’s offense is off.
In their last 10 games, Boston’s offense has averaged 104 points per 100 possessions, down from their 106.4 points per 100 for the season (based on the Knickerblogger numbers).
Ray Allen is part of that — he is shooting 44.3 percent in the last 10 games, down from 49.3 percent for the season. From three his percentage has dropped from an insane 45.2 percent to 35.7 percent the last 10. He is taking two fewer shots per game in that stretch.
Allen is not getting the looks early in the game that get him in rhythm and last night in a loss to Indiana was the tipping point, the Boston Globe reports.
Through three quarters, Allen attempted four shots, making three for 8 points. Glen Davis took nine shots through three periods. Rajon Rondo attempted 13, which is understandable because it was one of those rare nights when he attacked the basket with success.
But in the fourth quarter, when the Celtics’ defense began breaking down after a brilliant third quarter, they needed instant offense and called on Allen for four shots in the period. He made one.
In those last 10 games, Paul Pierce has almost as many three-point attempts as Allen. Not good. Pierce is shooting 30.8 percent on those which is why it’s not good.
The Celtics have a habit of forgetting about Allen, letting him grow cold standing on the perimeter ignored, until they get desperate and turn to him. Then the results can be mixed. Get him the rock early and you get points, Allen in rhythm and things open up for everyone else.
The Celtics know this, but this is what happens when good teams slump, they get away from what they know you should do. Expect that to change pretty soon.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 3
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25