Mar 29, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
One of the O’Neals is ready to return to Boston.
Jermaine O’Neal will return from knee surgery to Boston practices this week and said he hopes to be playing center Thursday night against the Spurs in a battle of the slumping superpowers.
Doc Rivers said fat chance he’ll play that soo our man A. Sherrod Blakely at CSN New England.
“I doubt it,” Rivers said when asked about O’Neal coming back that quickly. “There’s a chance. That’s just so quick. Honestly, the only way is if we had some type of other injury or something. Even then, I doubt I’d do it.”
O’Neal has dropped 12 pounds to both make himself quicker and to take some of the pressure off that surgically repaired knee.
In an ideal world Jermaine will back up Shaquille O’Neal (who is targeting next week for a return). But the Celtics are going to need both of them in the playoffs — particularly on defense — if they plan on getting another banner for the Garden rafters.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 3
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 13
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 8
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19