Mar 29, 2011, 9:01 PM EDT
The Miami Heat could really use Udonis Haslem. They could use the depth, the strength inside, the rebounding, the defense.
The Heat had hoped to get Haslem back from the torn ligament in his left foot by the start of the playoffs, but before tonight’s game in Cleveland Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said Haslem wouldn’t be evaluated again for about a month, according to Ethan Skolnick of the Palm Beach Post on twitter.
Meaning he may not be back until the playoffs are rolling at best.
ESPN’s NBA number’s guy John Hollinger said that no team is getting less out of players 4-12 on the bench than the Heat. (Minnesota and Cleveland round out your top three of badness.) Fitting in Mike Miller has been an issue, but Haslem fit in well before his November injury.
Adjusting to him again during the playoffs could be a serious challenge. However, with a second round matchup likely against Boston or Orlando — two teams with long front lines — having Haslem back could be key.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 6
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?