Derrick Rose’s season inspires John Wall

Mar 29, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Washington Wizards Getty Images

Each year Derrick Rose has stepped on the court, he has gotten better.

Each of his three seasons he has taken on more and more of the Chicago offense but his true shooting percentage has gone up each year (that’s his points per shot attempt, counting threes and fouls), his assist percentages have gone up, each year his three-point shooting has improved.

John Wall has had a good rookie season in Washington. But he looks at what Rose has done in the past three seasons, how he has improved, and it is inspiring, Wall told Chris Tomasson with Hoopshype

“My goal is to get to his level and get better,’’ Wall said in an interview with HoopsHype about wanting to improve his game similar to the way Rose has. “It took time for him to progress. That’s something I’m trying to do.

“I know a lot of teams are giving (open shots) to me. In some games, I’m hot and I’m making it. In some games, I make one out of four. But I think if I’m making it more consistently, it’s going to be tougher for guys to guard me. That’s something Derrick really did, and now it’s tougher for teams to stop him.’’

Wall may have farther to go than Rose did. This season Wall has hit 25 percent of his shots from 10-15 feet out (1.4 attempts per game), 29 percent from 16 feet out to the arc (4.3 per game) and 30.7 on threes (1.7 per game). All stats via Hoopdata.

Rose his rookie season? He shot 38 percent from 10 to 15 (1.6 per game), 43 percent from 16-23 (4.9 per game) and 22.2 percent from three (0.9 per game).

What Rose has really done is both improve his three point shooting (up to 34 percent this season, so you have to respect the shot and defend it) and become better at picking his spots in the midrange. He’s only hitting 38 percent of his 16-23 footers this season, he’s just taking fewer of them. Instead of taking long twos he’s stepping back and taking those as threes and hitting them. That’s part of what makes Rose improved — it’s not hitting more midrange shots, it’s drawing you out to cover his threes then he blows by you.

That is the lesson for Wall. He does need a better midrange game, but what he really needs is to be pulling guys out to the arc to cover him, not laying off him and daring him to shoot. Wall said he plans to work on his shot this offseason.

“I try to shoot a thousand a day,’’ Wall, averaging 16.3 points and 8.6 assists and shooting 40.5 percent overall, said of his offseason regiment. “But I want to do it more where I’m really jumping. (Last) summer, I wasn’t really jumping on my jump shot. Just shooting a set shot. You can’t do that in this league. Guys are fast and they’re closing out. So you’re going to see me work and I’m going to come back with an improved jumper next year.’’

One other thing: Rose got much better teammates in the past three years, something that makes any player look improved. Wall could use some of those, too.

1. purdueman - Mar 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM

As Senator Lloyd Benson once said to Dan Quayle: “Senator, I knew and was a friend of John Kennedy and you are no John Kennedy!”.

Same deal here… “John Wall, you may aspire to someday be as good as Derrek Rose, but I’ve seen Derrek Rose and you play and you are no Derrek Rose!”.

• cordae - Mar 29, 2011 at 5:37 PM

His name is in the headline and you STILL managed to butcher it -__-….

• purdueman - Mar 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM

So what? Other than you who cares? Many of the NBA and NHL players first names are a nightmare to spell and there’s probably four or five ways to spell Derrek/Derreck/Derrick/Derwood, etc..

When I watch the Bulls play, all I see is “ROSE” on the back of his uniform; that’s what I relate too. I don’t have time to memorize the spelling of each and every players names. They’re not personal friends of mine, so it really doesn’t matter to me, nor should it to you either.

• cordae - Mar 29, 2011 at 6:05 PM

It has nothing to do with being their friend, its about being an adult and spelling another persons name, or anything correctly. It would have taken you literally a mili-second to look at the top left corner of your window and see how to spell his name. You took the time out of your day to copy and paste that stupid song in about 6 different articles didn’t you? Right…

• purdueman - Mar 29, 2011 at 7:40 PM

cordae, to answer your question, yes and no. Yes I read a bunch of articles recently on Rose, but no, it has nothing to do with spelling his first name correctly being an “adult thing” whatsoever.

I read using the E. Woods’ reading dynamics method of reading. In case you’re not familiar with that method of reading, it’s often referred to as “speed reading”. The best way to simplify it is that you train your eyes and brain to skip over and ignore superfluous words and content that you aren’t looking for or are interested in. I can read an article or a book and literally never even stop or see words like “and”, “but”, “the”, etc., because I’m only concerned about the content I am seeking.

In the case of reading things on the news or in sports, if all I’m looking for is content relating to “Rose”, that’s all I see. My mind and eyes just skip over first names unless I have to sort through say more than one “Rose” to find the one whose subject matter I am looking for. It works, but you don’t have to take my word for it, you can google it.

Even my daughter asked me just the other day, “Dad how can you read so many books in a week?”. I told her, “I speed read”.

I never was a professional athlete, but when I played high school sports I was always called only by my last name (like Rose, I have a surname that is common also as a first name), which just further reinforces my habit of merely seeking out last names.

Focusing primarily only on last names is also heightened by the maze of African based first names, many of which I only first hear of when black athletes hit the pros. Here’s just a small sample… how many of these names have you heard of correctly and would spell correctly 100% of the time?:

(I’m sure that these would come naturally to a black person, but as a kid growing up in an all WASP type neighborhood I’m much more used to names that are phonetically spelled the way they sound… like Bob, Tom, Jim, Stosh, Larry, etc.). The following small sample of African American mens names aren’t derived of course from English, but mostly from their ancestral tribal heritages:

Entay
        Xyshaun
        Yobachi
        Zaid
        Zareb
        Zashawn

• cordae - Mar 29, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Okay, I just used the E. Woods method and spead-read through that list of yours. Did you really throw “Ludacris” in there??? That is derrived from absolutely nothing African. Thats a spin-off of the ENGLISH word “Ludicrous”, used by a rapper. On that note, I’m done. I’m sure Derrek doesnt care how you spell his name, neither does “Koby” “DaWayne” or “D’white”….

• purdueman - Mar 29, 2011 at 8:53 PM

cordae… and your latest post shows that you’re full of crap, because you have to complete and pass a reading dynamics class, then put it to use… not just pull something out from up your ass as you just did.

I got the sample from a list of African male names by googling and going to one of the web sites you moron; I didn’t create that list myself.

Get a life!

• cordae - Mar 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM

So, let me get this straight. Not only did you butcher a guys name, but when you were addressed about it, you GOOGLED your rebuttal? A bad one at that. That list was probably put together by a person who was just as ignorant as you are. And I’M the moron? Lol…I’m not gonna even call you a name. So go ahead and google another horrible response, you may as well Wiki it while youre at it…

• purdueman - Mar 30, 2011 at 5:18 PM

cordae, you got some serious mental issues, bud. Please seek professional help before you hurt somebody or decide to jump off a tall bridge (which based on your posts wouldn’t actually be a bad idea).

You truly are a moron to continue to obsess over something so petty and pointless as to the correct spelling of some athlete/stranger’s name and/or grammar or spelling mistakes (this is a blog dummy; nobody cares about that except you!).

Why don’t you just admit that you suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), need treatment and have a really weird and scary obsession with a total stranger (me), on an internet chat board and move on?

You’re sick! Get some help, dude.

2. purdueman - Mar 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM

At the concluding buzzer of the Kings NBA season, the moving vans will be rolling up, packing up and moving south with the Malgoofs leading them to Anaheim in their limo up front while singing this familiar tune over a bullhorn mounted on their limo roof as they go:

Rollin’ Rollin’ Rollin’

Keep movin’, movin’, movin’,
    Though OC Laker fans are a disapprovin’,
    Keep them doggies movin’ Anaheim!
    Don’t try to understand ‘em,
    Just throw ‘em a new Royals shirt and grab ‘em,
    Soon we’ll be living high and wide.
    Boy my heart’s calculatin’
    My true love will be waitin’, the Honda Center in Ana-heim!.

Move ‘em on, head ‘em up,
    Head ‘em up, move ‘em out,
    Move ‘em on, head ‘em out, Ana-heim!
    Set ‘em out, ride ‘em in
    Ride ‘em in, let Sacfans out,
    Cut OC Laker fans out and ride ‘em in to Ana-heim!

• slopmcflop - Mar 29, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I DON’T APPROVE OF YOUR WORD NOISE

3. blackuhuru4u - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:02 PM

purduwoman- Not only are you a bigot, but you must have used the “E Woods watching dynamics” when you were watching John Wall ball because you skipped through the majority of his games…lol…get a life you clown!

• purdueman - Mar 29, 2011 at 11:56 PM

blackpussy… If anyone’s a bigot, moron, idiot and useless human being taking up valuable space on this planet, it is you, as your childish post proves it. I have a life; you likely live in your Mom’s basement and are in your 30’s, unemployed and still mooching off the old man. ROFLMAO!

4. okcallday - Mar 30, 2011 at 3:56 PM

HAHAHAHA….on the list of african names… “Nwa”…ice cube would be proud.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches