Mar 29, 2011, 6:26 PM EST
Then here comes Mike Krzyzewski. Like your grandfather that just heard about this Lady Gaga person and wants to tell you she can’t sing, he decided Tuesday to jump in and comment on Rose saying Duke didn’t recruit black people like him when Krzyzewski was on the radio Tuesday (as transcribed by ESPN Chicago).
“Obviously, that was a poor choice of words and very insulting to everyone here at Duke but especially, not just our African-American players, but any African-American students,” Krzyzewski said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000 in Chicago Tuesday. “When you judge within a race, you start judging, like you put categories as to who you are. I think that’s just the wrong thing to do….
“We were very successful against them and, to be quite frank with you, we recruited Chris Webber,” he said. “I didn’t recruit Jalen Rose because we had Grant Hill and I’m happy with that. We didn’t look at the other, Juwan Howard [because] we knew he wasn’t going to come to Duke. The other two kids we didn’t think were the caliber that could play as well as Thomas Hill and Brian Davis and Billy McCaffery. They’re good kids. They were good kids….
“They had a heck of a run but, they didn’t leave anything, they didn’t establish anything there,” Krzyzewski said. “The guys that I had established something that Jay Williams continued to do 10 years later — the standards of what it meant to be a Duke basketball player.”
Really? Coach K, if you’re not going to add anything new to the conversation at this point, please let it die. And you didn’t add.
Again, the Fab 5 documentary ESPN did was interesting but not exactly balanced (what the Fab 5 did in terms of culture and style really was just building on what the teams at UNLV had done immediately before them, which built on what Georgetown had done in the 1980s). Rose has said his comments were how he saw the world at 17. Everyone has hashed this all out to death.
We’re done here. Move on. That includes you, Coach K.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 7
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6