Mar 29, 2011, 6:26 PM EST
Then here comes Mike Krzyzewski. Like your grandfather that just heard about this Lady Gaga person and wants to tell you she can’t sing, he decided Tuesday to jump in and comment on Rose saying Duke didn’t recruit black people like him when Krzyzewski was on the radio Tuesday (as transcribed by ESPN Chicago).
“Obviously, that was a poor choice of words and very insulting to everyone here at Duke but especially, not just our African-American players, but any African-American students,” Krzyzewski said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000 in Chicago Tuesday. “When you judge within a race, you start judging, like you put categories as to who you are. I think that’s just the wrong thing to do….
“We were very successful against them and, to be quite frank with you, we recruited Chris Webber,” he said. “I didn’t recruit Jalen Rose because we had Grant Hill and I’m happy with that. We didn’t look at the other, Juwan Howard [because] we knew he wasn’t going to come to Duke. The other two kids we didn’t think were the caliber that could play as well as Thomas Hill and Brian Davis and Billy McCaffery. They’re good kids. They were good kids….
“They had a heck of a run but, they didn’t leave anything, they didn’t establish anything there,” Krzyzewski said. “The guys that I had established something that Jay Williams continued to do 10 years later — the standards of what it meant to be a Duke basketball player.”
Really? Coach K, if you’re not going to add anything new to the conversation at this point, please let it die. And you didn’t add.
Again, the Fab 5 documentary ESPN did was interesting but not exactly balanced (what the Fab 5 did in terms of culture and style really was just building on what the teams at UNLV had done immediately before them, which built on what Georgetown had done in the 1980s). Rose has said his comments were how he saw the world at 17. Everyone has hashed this all out to death.
We’re done here. Move on. That includes you, Coach K.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)