Coach K stirs up Duke vs. Fab 5 issue again. Ugh.

Mar 29, 2011, 6:26 PM EDT

Michigan v Duke Getty Images

Grant Hill and Jalen Rose hugged it out. Or talked it out. Or tweeted it out. So finally we can put this whole Fab 5 vs. Duke thing to bed….

Then here comes Mike Krzyzewski. Like your grandfather that just heard about this Lady Gaga person and wants to tell you she can’t sing, he decided Tuesday to jump in and comment on Rose saying Duke didn’t recruit black people like him when Krzyzewski was on the radio Tuesday (as transcribed by ESPN Chicago).

“Obviously, that was a poor choice of words and very insulting to everyone here at Duke but especially, not just our African-American players, but any African-American students,” Krzyzewski said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000 in Chicago Tuesday. “When you judge within a race, you start judging, like you put categories as to who you are. I think that’s just the wrong thing to do….

“We were very successful against them and, to be quite frank with you, we recruited Chris Webber,” he said. “I didn’t recruit Jalen Rose because we had Grant Hill and I’m happy with that. We didn’t look at the other, Juwan Howard [because] we knew he wasn’t going to come to Duke. The other two kids we didn’t think were the caliber that could play as well as Thomas Hill and Brian Davis and Billy McCaffery. They’re good kids. They were good kids….

“They had a heck of a run but, they didn’t leave anything, they didn’t establish anything there,” Krzyzewski said. “The guys that I had established something that Jay Williams continued to do 10 years later — the standards of what it meant to be a Duke basketball player.”

Really? Coach K, if you’re not going to add anything new to the conversation at this point, please let it die. And you didn’t add.

Again, the Fab 5 documentary ESPN did was interesting but not exactly balanced (what the Fab 5 did in terms of culture and style really was just building on what the teams at UNLV had done immediately before them, which built on what Georgetown had done in the 1980s). Rose has said his comments were how he saw the world at 17. Everyone has hashed this all out to death.

We’re done here. Move on. That includes you, Coach K.

1. digitalpoo - Mar 29, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Common Kurt, you think that Coach K just called up a bunch of reporters so he could put his 2 cents in on the debate? It’s you guys in the media who’s dragging crap like this on and on by asking the question in the first place….

2. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 29, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I think Coach K has every right to comment, if you have a problem with that it’s your problem.
    In America you have the right not to read anything he has to say.
    I loved the Fab 5, I love Coach K, I respect Jalens view as a 18 year old inner city kid.
    I loved Grants response as well, they all have the right to their opinion!

3. goforthanddie - Mar 29, 2011 at 7:41 PM

K had a responsibility to get involved, and should have from day 1. And flat-out saying those players weren’t worthy of Duke, and did nothing themselves, should be embarrassment enough for the Michigan tards.

4. lebronsinsecurity - Mar 29, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Kurt, what color is the sky in your world?? So it’s o.k. for you to constantly bring up the “decision” after it has clearly died, but it’s not o.k. for coach K to comment on something that actually is related to him and the program he runs?? Is that the whole do as I say not as I do attitude??

5. savocabol1 - Mar 30, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Whoa, for a second I thought I was reading proCOLLEGEbasketball.com

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches