Mar 29, 2011, 2:02 PM EDT
There has been less hype, maybe there will be less venom when the Heat return to Cleveland for the second time this Tuesday. The game was not even a sell out hours before tip off. Maybe it will be more basketball and less circus. We can hope, anyway.
But make no mistake the Cavs want to win. Badly. As evidence they are starting Baron Davis Tuesday, tweets Mary Schmitt Boyer of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. That comes about 24 hours after Davis himself said he was not ready to play starters minutes, but what does he know?
Here’s a little secret — Davis has played well in limited minutes in Cleveland. In six games he is shooting 45.1 percent (higher than he ever has for a full season) and is hitting 50 percent of his threes). He’s still assisting on nearly 40 percent of his team’s baskets when he is on the court.
Look at it this way: Since coming to Cleveland he has a PER of 22.9, which if he did it for a season would have him between Amar’e Stoudemire and Zach Randolph this season. Like All-Star level.
Davis knocking down those pull-up threes and setting up teammates (who also are hitting) is the Cavs best and only real shot at winning this thing and giving the fans of Cleveland the cathartic release they wish. And it’s not going to be enough. But Cleveland fans still hate LeBron and they want this game, so the Cavs are going throw Baron out there and give it a shot.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 10
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 17
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 13
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP