Mar 29, 2011, 2:02 PM EDT
There has been less hype, maybe there will be less venom when the Heat return to Cleveland for the second time this Tuesday. The game was not even a sell out hours before tip off. Maybe it will be more basketball and less circus. We can hope, anyway.
But make no mistake the Cavs want to win. Badly. As evidence they are starting Baron Davis Tuesday, tweets Mary Schmitt Boyer of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. That comes about 24 hours after Davis himself said he was not ready to play starters minutes, but what does he know?
Here’s a little secret — Davis has played well in limited minutes in Cleveland. In six games he is shooting 45.1 percent (higher than he ever has for a full season) and is hitting 50 percent of his threes). He’s still assisting on nearly 40 percent of his team’s baskets when he is on the court.
Look at it this way: Since coming to Cleveland he has a PER of 22.9, which if he did it for a season would have him between Amar’e Stoudemire and Zach Randolph this season. Like All-Star level.
Davis knocking down those pull-up threes and setting up teammates (who also are hitting) is the Cavs best and only real shot at winning this thing and giving the fans of Cleveland the cathartic release they wish. And it’s not going to be enough. But Cleveland fans still hate LeBron and they want this game, so the Cavs are going throw Baron out there and give it a shot.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 11
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29