Mar 28, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
This season confirmed what we already really knew in Toronto:
You can’t build around Andrea Bargnani.
He can score, if you don’t mind your big men hanging out on the perimeter. He can fit in on the right team as a second (or better yet third) option. But that is not apparently happening in Toronto, where they are ready to move him, according to the New York Daily News.
…the Raptors want to build around rookie big-man Ed Davis and second-year guard DeMar DeRozan. They’re said to be open to moving Andrea Bargnani, who has been anything but an impact player since entering the league in 2007 as the No. 1 overall pick.
Similar rumblings are coming out of places like the Toronto Star.
If you’re using Bargnani in the right situation — as a stretch four scorer on a team that has plenty of inside presence without him — there is a place for him in the league. He is averaging 21.9 points per game.
But don’t bet on anyone taking Bargnani off Toronto’s hands to fill that role. He still has four years, $41.5 million left on his current deal. Not a lot of teams can take that kind of salary under the current collective bargaining agreement, and who knows under the new one.
Toronto’s bigger issue is they need a real ace to build around. Ed Davis and DeMar DeRozan are good building blocks, but neither is ready (or may ever be ready) to really be a cornerstone. Bargnani is not that guy and you’re not getting a cornerstone back for him. That is, if you can trade him at all.
There is a long way to go in Toronto. They have some nice players to start with, but there is a long way to go.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30