Mar 28, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
This season confirmed what we already really knew in Toronto:
You can’t build around Andrea Bargnani.
He can score, if you don’t mind your big men hanging out on the perimeter. He can fit in on the right team as a second (or better yet third) option. But that is not apparently happening in Toronto, where they are ready to move him, according to the New York Daily News.
…the Raptors want to build around rookie big-man Ed Davis and second-year guard DeMar DeRozan. They’re said to be open to moving Andrea Bargnani, who has been anything but an impact player since entering the league in 2007 as the No. 1 overall pick.
Similar rumblings are coming out of places like the Toronto Star.
If you’re using Bargnani in the right situation — as a stretch four scorer on a team that has plenty of inside presence without him — there is a place for him in the league. He is averaging 21.9 points per game.
But don’t bet on anyone taking Bargnani off Toronto’s hands to fill that role. He still has four years, $41.5 million left on his current deal. Not a lot of teams can take that kind of salary under the current collective bargaining agreement, and who knows under the new one.
Toronto’s bigger issue is they need a real ace to build around. Ed Davis and DeMar DeRozan are good building blocks, but neither is ready (or may ever be ready) to really be a cornerstone. Bargnani is not that guy and you’re not getting a cornerstone back for him. That is, if you can trade him at all.
There is a long way to go in Toronto. They have some nice players to start with, but there is a long way to go.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6