Mar 28, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
This season confirmed what we already really knew in Toronto:
You can’t build around Andrea Bargnani.
He can score, if you don’t mind your big men hanging out on the perimeter. He can fit in on the right team as a second (or better yet third) option. But that is not apparently happening in Toronto, where they are ready to move him, according to the New York Daily News.
…the Raptors want to build around rookie big-man Ed Davis and second-year guard DeMar DeRozan. They’re said to be open to moving Andrea Bargnani, who has been anything but an impact player since entering the league in 2007 as the No. 1 overall pick.
Similar rumblings are coming out of places like the Toronto Star.
If you’re using Bargnani in the right situation — as a stretch four scorer on a team that has plenty of inside presence without him — there is a place for him in the league. He is averaging 21.9 points per game.
But don’t bet on anyone taking Bargnani off Toronto’s hands to fill that role. He still has four years, $41.5 million left on his current deal. Not a lot of teams can take that kind of salary under the current collective bargaining agreement, and who knows under the new one.
Toronto’s bigger issue is they need a real ace to build around. Ed Davis and DeMar DeRozan are good building blocks, but neither is ready (or may ever be ready) to really be a cornerstone. Bargnani is not that guy and you’re not getting a cornerstone back for him. That is, if you can trade him at all.
There is a long way to go in Toronto. They have some nice players to start with, but there is a long way to go.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 40
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4