Mar 28, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
Since Carmelo Anthony arrived with the Knicks, their offense overall has gotten nominally better. They had averaged 109.8 points per 100 possessions, now that is up to 110.4.
But they haven’t looked good doing it. (And the slightly better offense doesn’t make up for the much worse defense, especially in the fourth quarter. Which is why the Knicks are losing. A lot.)
Other key Knicks have seen their shooting percentages drop since Anthony’s arrival, points out OG Knicks blogger Mike Kurylo at Knickerblogger.
Amar’e Stoudemire has seen a decrease — his true shooting percentage (think points per shot taken, counting free throws and threes) is down 0.5 percent (57 to 56.5 percent) and his points produced per minute is off slightly, also. Landry Fields also has seen a 0.6 decrease in his true shooting percentage, but his points per minute are up slightly as he is getting more shots.
The two players who have seen their numbers go up — Toney Douglas and Roger Mason Junior — both are coming off injuries so their improvement probably have more to do with getting healthy than improved offense.
Part of the problem in New York is that outside of Fields a lot of the guys being asked to do more are guys who played smaller roles before the Knicks traded away all their depth to get Anthony. But added to that is right now there is no flow to the Knicks offense — they play much slower and the ball sticks in the half court, not moving around. Come the playoffs — if they make it — the Knicks will be much easier to defend.
The reasons behind all this are not simple fixes. It doesn’t matter much this season, expectations were overblown for this year anyway, but next season the Knicks need to figure some things out. Because this is New York where expectations are always overblown.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 75
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32