Mar 28, 2011, 12:09 AM EDT
The Spurs have been without Tim Duncan for three games with his latest injury. They have now lost all three games after the Grizzlies edged the Spurs 111-104. And while they are 6-4 in their past ten, the slide has been apparent. The Spurs are entering the playoffs neither healthy nor high on momentum.
“At first, when I came to the bench, I thought I was going to be OK,” Ginobili said. “Then it stiffened up. I can’t put my full weight on it.”
Ginobili would not rule himself out of Monday’s Portland game, hoping — perhaps against hope — that compression machines on the team’s charter flight home from Memphis would provide adequate healing powers. But he certainly didn’t look like a man less than 24 hours from his next NBA game.
“I’ll get some rest and some treatment, and then we’ll see how it feels tomorrow,” Ginobili said.
The Spurs broke down defensively, especially against the Grizzlies’ bench which dropped 42 points. Granted, the Spurs’ bench landed 48 thanks to George Hill‘s 30 points, but the elements are clear. The Grizzlies have some matchup advantages against San Antonio. And if the Spurs don’t figure out their issues in the next two weeks, they’re going to get to see those matchup problems up close and personal. They can blame injuries for the loss to the Grizzlies Sunday night, but Memphis has split the season series.
The Spurs could learn a thing or two from Memphis about getting hot at the right time.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 2
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 8
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 3
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 16
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18