Mar 27, 2011, 9:14 AM EDT
Friday we let you know of reports indicating Zydrunas Ilgauskas was on his way back to recovery from that grotesque foot injury he sustained when he stepped on a nail. Now comes word that ESPN reports Ilgauskas is expected to return to action Sunday against Houston for the first time in eight games.
Ilgauskas’ return coincides with the Heat making one final push at legitimacy, as they’ve begun playing their best ball. Houston is desperate for a win, trying to keep stride with Memphis for the final playoff spot, just a game and a half back of the 8th in the West.
Ilgauskas isn’t going to be a game changer for the Heat, who have improved largely thanks to increased contributions from the Triad. But when we look at the Heat starting to take shape as a fully healthy team for once, and with Udonis Haslem maybe possibly, conceivably coming back at some point, at least there’s some hope for Heat fans that the full roster that was envisioned in the preseason will get some time before the playoff starts.
If nothing else, Ilgauskas will limit the amount of time Joel Anthony will be on the floor. Anthony has shown some better offensive skills lately. Unfortunately, he’s also shown to be wretched in nearly every other area on the floor. Ilgauskas will help to contain the damage Anthony can do to the Heat while on the floor.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 20
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 7
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 18
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26