Mar 27, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT
Perhaps you’re wondering what far-stretched angle I’m going to use to justify blogging about a LeBron James–Dwyane Wade tennis match. Well, first, here’s Wade talking about taking the King to the Sony Ericsson Open:
The Miami Heat stars showed up at the Sony Ericsson Open to be part of a coin toss before world No. 1 Rafael Nadal played against Japan’s Kei Nishikori. Wade’s two sons, Zaire — the actual flipper of the coin — and Zion, were there as well, on the court for handshakes from Nadal and a quick photo or two just before the match.
“There’s certain things in Miami that guys should experience,” Wade said. “So I had to drag LeBron out here, but I think this is something he’ll probably come back to next year and come back for years after that. This is a good experience. It’s something different and it’s a great day off, getting over here with the kids.”
Basically, this is a nice example of the Heat stars doing something as friends. The two are assumed to be best buddies but in reality they have had different friends for years. Things like this are important for keeping chemistry between the two, especially with James taking a different role lately. Or at least, it’s important for convincing the public of that through PR events. Really, they’re one in the same.
James admits he’s terrible at tennis, which deserves its own post right there. This is stunning in that I wasn’t aware LeBron had ever been bad at any physical activity ever. I kind of assumed he could whip Nadal when he came out of the womb, that’s how gifted he is, physically. I mean, a grown Nadal. Not a child Nadal as he would be when LeBron was born. That would just be awkward. I’ve lost track of this.
Suspiciously absent was Chris Bosh, fueling more rumors that Bosh isn’t actually as close with the other two superstars. Not really, but wouldn’t that be a great angle to spin in the most ridiculous manner possible?
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4