Mar 25, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
The Memphis Grizzlies have announced that Rudy Gay, who was injured during a game against the Sixers last month, has undergone surgery to reset his partially dislocated shoulder, per the Associated Press. Gay’s plan to have surgery was announced earlier this week, but the actual procedure was performed today, and has brought a complete termination to Gay’s season.
It’s a damn shame, really. Gay had made some nice adjustments to his game, and showed real maturation in his approach and performance. The Grizzlies are having a renaissance year of sorts as well, and are likely to make the playoffs for the first time in five years. Gay is a big reason why, but thanks to his injury and today’s surgery, he won’t actually be able to suit up to compete for a chance — however remote — at a first-round upset.
Gay and these Grizzlies aren’t going away, though. It’s hard to predict what the Western Conference will look like next season, but Memphis is a team of young, productive players and has a stable core. Some pieces may be moved in the off-season or early next year (O.J. Mayo‘s exodus seems almost inevitable at this point), but the foundation of Gay, Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol, and Mike Conley will remain and just as importantly, remain productive.
How exactly the Grizzlies plan to propel themselves upward into contention is another question entirely, but if Gay can repeat his performance from this season or even improve upon it, he’ll likely have a chance to make his playoff debut next year.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 2
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 3
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4