Mar 25, 2011, 6:31 PM EDT
Zydrunas Ilgauskas has missed six straight games with a foot injury, albeit one quite different than the myriad of foot ailments that have hindered him throughout his career. A wound to Ilgauskas’ foot — some reports claim that he stepped on a nail, while others cite a mere blister — opened up an opportunity for infection, and he was rushed to the hospital before Miami’s game against Memphis on March 12th.
Ilgauskas discussed his infection in further detail with Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com’s Heat Index, and though the infection gave Ilgauskas a bit of a scare, he seems to be on his way toward a full recovery:
What followed were a scary couple of days when Ilgauskas learned he had a type of strep infection and perhaps even the dangerous and antibiotic-resistant strain known as MRSA. He said he and the team have not been able to determine the source of the infection.
“I can deal with broken bones but when something from inside attacks you, I’ve never had that before,” Ilgauskas said after taking part in shootaround with the Heat on Friday morning. “I had so many antibiotics in my system it was hard to tell what it was. Yeah, it scared me. Thankfully we caught it at the right time and we were able to keep it under control.”
Ilgauskas was in the hospital for three days and later had to receive follow-up IV treatments at home to rid the bacteria from his system. He also said he had an important MRI that looked at some hardware in his foot, which was part of a complex procedure to rebuild his foot that saved his career 10 years ago.
“You don’t want bacteria to get on the screws in there,” Ilgauskas said. “Luckily that wasn’t the case.”
If any player deserves to be healthy through the twilight of his career, it’s Z, and yet random health concerns and nagging injuries just seem to follow him around. The Heat obviously stand to benefit from a healthy Ilgauskas, too; I’m sure Jamaal Magloire is thankful for being able to play a bit in Ilgauskas’ stead, but his inclusion in the rotation is unquestionably temporary. Keep popping those antibiotics, Z. Your team needs you.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 40
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4