Mar 24, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
Playoff beards are an NHL tradition — you let it go as long as your team stays alive. So by the finals the guys look like Canadians who opted to be lumberjacks rather than hockey players (oh he’s a lumberjack and he’s okay, he sleeps all night and he works all day).
Now Orlando is trying to bring a little Fear the Beard to the NBA (well, besides Boom Dizzle who has had that going for years). The Magic are going to grow playoff beards, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
“It’s one of those team things,” (Quesntin) Richardson said. “Togetherness. It’s something fun at the same time. It’s going to definitely look funny, I know.”
The players said they collectively made the decision between Monday’s victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers and Wednesday’s win over the New York Knicks.
“We talked about doing something as a team,” center Dwight Howard said.
A few of the guys have started already, although most will wait until the playoffs start next month.
And let us pray that Stan Van Gundy does not get in on the act… although he does have that moustache and looks a little like a lumberjack already.
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 11
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20