Mar 24, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
Playoff beards are an NHL tradition — you let it go as long as your team stays alive. So by the finals the guys look like Canadians who opted to be lumberjacks rather than hockey players (oh he’s a lumberjack and he’s okay, he sleeps all night and he works all day).
Now Orlando is trying to bring a little Fear the Beard to the NBA (well, besides Boom Dizzle who has had that going for years). The Magic are going to grow playoff beards, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
“It’s one of those team things,” (Quesntin) Richardson said. “Togetherness. It’s something fun at the same time. It’s going to definitely look funny, I know.”
The players said they collectively made the decision between Monday’s victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers and Wednesday’s win over the New York Knicks.
“We talked about doing something as a team,” center Dwight Howard said.
A few of the guys have started already, although most will wait until the playoffs start next month.
And let us pray that Stan Van Gundy does not get in on the act… although he does have that moustache and looks a little like a lumberjack already.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 22
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 27
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16