Mar 24, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
Playoff beards are an NHL tradition — you let it go as long as your team stays alive. So by the finals the guys look like Canadians who opted to be lumberjacks rather than hockey players (oh he’s a lumberjack and he’s okay, he sleeps all night and he works all day).
Now Orlando is trying to bring a little Fear the Beard to the NBA (well, besides Boom Dizzle who has had that going for years). The Magic are going to grow playoff beards, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
“It’s one of those team things,” (Quesntin) Richardson said. “Togetherness. It’s something fun at the same time. It’s going to definitely look funny, I know.”
The players said they collectively made the decision between Monday’s victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers and Wednesday’s win over the New York Knicks.
“We talked about doing something as a team,” center Dwight Howard said.
A few of the guys have started already, although most will wait until the playoffs start next month.
And let us pray that Stan Van Gundy does not get in on the act… although he does have that moustache and looks a little like a lumberjack already.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 8
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 38
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3