Mar 24, 2011, 10:05 AM EST
Playoff beards are an NHL tradition — you let it go as long as your team stays alive. So by the finals the guys look like Canadians who opted to be lumberjacks rather than hockey players (oh he’s a lumberjack and he’s okay, he sleeps all night and he works all day).
Now Orlando is trying to bring a little Fear the Beard to the NBA (well, besides Boom Dizzle who has had that going for years). The Magic are going to grow playoff beards, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
“It’s one of those team things,” (Quesntin) Richardson said. “Togetherness. It’s something fun at the same time. It’s going to definitely look funny, I know.”
The players said they collectively made the decision between Monday’s victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers and Wednesday’s win over the New York Knicks.
“We talked about doing something as a team,” center Dwight Howard said.
A few of the guys have started already, although most will wait until the playoffs start next month.
And let us pray that Stan Van Gundy does not get in on the act… although he does have that moustache and looks a little like a lumberjack already.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 21
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17