Mar 24, 2011, 10:05 AM EST
Playoff beards are an NHL tradition — you let it go as long as your team stays alive. So by the finals the guys look like Canadians who opted to be lumberjacks rather than hockey players (oh he’s a lumberjack and he’s okay, he sleeps all night and he works all day).
Now Orlando is trying to bring a little Fear the Beard to the NBA (well, besides Boom Dizzle who has had that going for years). The Magic are going to grow playoff beards, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
“It’s one of those team things,” (Quesntin) Richardson said. “Togetherness. It’s something fun at the same time. It’s going to definitely look funny, I know.”
The players said they collectively made the decision between Monday’s victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers and Wednesday’s win over the New York Knicks.
“We talked about doing something as a team,” center Dwight Howard said.
A few of the guys have started already, although most will wait until the playoffs start next month.
And let us pray that Stan Van Gundy does not get in on the act… although he does have that moustache and looks a little like a lumberjack already.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)