Mar 24, 2011, 3:16 PM EDT
Jerry West is trying to talk some sense into New Yorkers. Good luck with that.
The Logo spoke with the Associated Press and said what Knicks management and everyone on that end of the Carmelo Anthony trade has said — this is going to take time. To expect immediate results was a mistake, the trade was about getting a second superstar. Don’t worry about the 7-10 record since the trade (or the fact Denver is 11-4 and playing with newfound energy).
“You can’t judge a trade by that, and it also gives them building blocks,” West said before the game. “They got not only Carmelo, they got a tremendous player in Chauncey Billups. He’s really good and so they got two really good players out of it, but they haven’t played together that long so I don’t say it’s patience, I think to me it’s understandable that they wouldn’t come in and burn the house down as far as winning games…
“Regardless of how people try to read trades – Denver is playing well, they certainly have more depth now than they had before – but the reality of a trade like this, you’re not going to be able to judge this until next year or two years from now,” he said. “Which team is going to prosper the most, which team is going to make progress to the ultimate goal of any franchise, and that’s to win championships.”
New York is going to make the playoffs this season for the first time in years. That is a step forward, one New Yorkers need to try and savor even as the Bulls or Celtics give them a good thrashing in the first round. Then let Donnie Walsh — you’d better hope it’s Walsh — work some more magic in the offseason to start putting role players that fit around Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire. Let Billups and D’Antoni really get on the same page. Let it all come together.
Then next year at this time you can say it was a mistake and call for D’Antoni’s head.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9