Mar 24, 2011, 3:16 PM EST
Jerry West is trying to talk some sense into New Yorkers. Good luck with that.
The Logo spoke with the Associated Press and said what Knicks management and everyone on that end of the Carmelo Anthony trade has said — this is going to take time. To expect immediate results was a mistake, the trade was about getting a second superstar. Don’t worry about the 7-10 record since the trade (or the fact Denver is 11-4 and playing with newfound energy).
“You can’t judge a trade by that, and it also gives them building blocks,” West said before the game. “They got not only Carmelo, they got a tremendous player in Chauncey Billups. He’s really good and so they got two really good players out of it, but they haven’t played together that long so I don’t say it’s patience, I think to me it’s understandable that they wouldn’t come in and burn the house down as far as winning games…
“Regardless of how people try to read trades – Denver is playing well, they certainly have more depth now than they had before – but the reality of a trade like this, you’re not going to be able to judge this until next year or two years from now,” he said. “Which team is going to prosper the most, which team is going to make progress to the ultimate goal of any franchise, and that’s to win championships.”
New York is going to make the playoffs this season for the first time in years. That is a step forward, one New Yorkers need to try and savor even as the Bulls or Celtics give them a good thrashing in the first round. Then let Donnie Walsh — you’d better hope it’s Walsh — work some more magic in the offseason to start putting role players that fit around Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire. Let Billups and D’Antoni really get on the same page. Let it all come together.
Then next year at this time you can say it was a mistake and call for D’Antoni’s head.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)