Mar 24, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
It is not true that when Jason Kidd made is first shot in the NBA he then had to climb the ladder and remove the ball from the peach basket.
But Jason Kidd turned 38 on Wednesday and has played in all 70 games for the Mavericks this season. They need him at 100 percent for the playoffs, so Mavs coach Rick Carlisle is considering giving Kidd some games off in the coming weeks, he told ESPN Dallas. Maybe even Thursday night against Minnesota (in Dallas).
The problem is timing (and that the Mavs are still battling the Lakers for the second seed in the West, so they need wins). Thursday night, for the first time since March 1, every key rotation guy for the Mavs is healthy.
Does coach Rick Carlisle want to sit Kidd when his rotation finally has a chance to stabilize for the first time this month?… But, finally running out a full team might be more important prior to a long and critical road trip that starts Saturday.
Carlisle said nothing is scheduled at this point as far as Kidd sitting out Thursday night.
“We’ll talk about that internally as time goes on,” Carlisle said. “The spacing on the road trip is a little unusual. We have a two-day break between two sets of the games so all of those things factor into those kinds of considerations, and we’ll play it by ear.”
That is a big six-game, 10-day road trip we are talking about. One with a couple back-to-backs, where you might see Kidd get one end of those off. The timing may not be set, but look for old-man Kidd to get some rest and let the young legs of Rodrigue Beaubois get a little extra burn.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 6
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 6