Mar 24, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
It is not true that when Jason Kidd made is first shot in the NBA he then had to climb the ladder and remove the ball from the peach basket.
But Jason Kidd turned 38 on Wednesday and has played in all 70 games for the Mavericks this season. They need him at 100 percent for the playoffs, so Mavs coach Rick Carlisle is considering giving Kidd some games off in the coming weeks, he told ESPN Dallas. Maybe even Thursday night against Minnesota (in Dallas).
The problem is timing (and that the Mavs are still battling the Lakers for the second seed in the West, so they need wins). Thursday night, for the first time since March 1, every key rotation guy for the Mavs is healthy.
Does coach Rick Carlisle want to sit Kidd when his rotation finally has a chance to stabilize for the first time this month?… But, finally running out a full team might be more important prior to a long and critical road trip that starts Saturday.
Carlisle said nothing is scheduled at this point as far as Kidd sitting out Thursday night.
“We’ll talk about that internally as time goes on,” Carlisle said. “The spacing on the road trip is a little unusual. We have a two-day break between two sets of the games so all of those things factor into those kinds of considerations, and we’ll play it by ear.”
That is a big six-game, 10-day road trip we are talking about. One with a couple back-to-backs, where you might see Kidd get one end of those off. The timing may not be set, but look for old-man Kidd to get some rest and let the young legs of Rodrigue Beaubois get a little extra burn.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 29
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 31
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18