Mar 23, 2011, 10:13 AM EDT
Usually we like the dramatic stuff, the blocked shot that sends the ball four rows deep and is punctuated by a scream.
Coaches, they don’t like that as much, because now the other team just takes the ball out of bounds. They talk about how old-timers like Celtics legend Bill Russell blocked shots but directed it back to teammates. Keep the ball in bounds.
Or, just grab it. Rip it out of their hands. Like Washington’s JaVale McGee did to Portland’s Wesley Mathews Tuesday. This was the best block I’ve seen this season.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30