Mar 23, 2011, 10:13 AM EDT
Usually we like the dramatic stuff, the blocked shot that sends the ball four rows deep and is punctuated by a scream.
Coaches, they don’t like that as much, because now the other team just takes the ball out of bounds. They talk about how old-timers like Celtics legend Bill Russell blocked shots but directed it back to teammates. Keep the ball in bounds.
Or, just grab it. Rip it out of their hands. Like Washington’s JaVale McGee did to Portland’s Wesley Mathews Tuesday. This was the best block I’ve seen this season.
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 10
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68